1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

.. i'm grossed out.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChelleEnchanted, May 24, 2008.

1. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I had two chicks hatch out of my own eggs on day 24, which was yesterday.

I keep finding fully formed dead babies in the eggs, but that's not the worst.

The second chick hatched out [i didnt help him at all]
    he didn't fluff up and he had some of his insides on the outside?

Why would he hatch out himself if somehting was wrong?

2. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    I'm new and have never seen an egg hatch, but maybe it is the yolk sac that people are always talking about? If not that, I don't know what is wrong. If it is the yolk sac from what I've been reading, I think it will absorb into the chick. Maybe just don't handle it or move it until someone can tell you what's going on with it. I wish I coud help!

JC

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Read something on here the other day about intestines on the outside, think said was caused by wrong humidity. Someone who knows will answer.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Humidity plays a huge role in proper development.

5. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Could you take a picture of the chick? Without actually seeing it, it's hard to say what it could be. It might just be yolk, or it could be something else like it's intestines. Good luck with the little guy [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am so sorry this is happening for you. It sounds like most of your chicks are drowning in the shells and the ones that make it out aren't absorbing properly due to the high humidity. Are you measuring your humidity throughout incubation and at hatch time?

Jody

7. ChelleEnchanted

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    It's a LG still air.
    All my chicks hatch properly in the other still air incubator, and I always just fill the bottom and have no problem with this.

This one the water seems to be leaking or disappearing all the time.
    I have to fill it up too much.
    I looked in the incubator earlier and he died.
    Only one chick hatched healthily from that batch.

I've decided not to use this incubator for any eggs any more. I just can't believe he hatched out like that? Like.. didn't it hurt? :[.

I've got chicks pipped in the other bator though, so i can draw my attention away.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your water is disappearing then the humidity was probably the cause. How are you sterelizing your incubators after a hatch?

9. ChelleEnchanted

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I clean them out with anti bacterial soap, wait for it to dry, and then clean it again.

See, the first time i had sticky chicks, which was from too little humidity, this time I upped it and i drowned them. [​IMG]

I'm starting to think i'm really bad at hatching.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need to do much more than clean it with antibacterial soap. You most likely have a bacteria/fungus in there causing these problems with the embryos.

When you scrub it out with the antibacterial soap rinse it well. Make a solution of bleach and hot water in your bath tub and soak all the pieces that you can in the tub for at least 15 minute. I usually set mine and leave it for several hours. The peice of the bator with the electronic pieces can't be submerged but you can carefully swirl some of the bleach water inside and wipe it out with a cloth soaked in the bleach water. After soaking rinse well again with hot water. Set it int he blazing sun and let the sun do the rest of the job in sterilizing it. Blazing sun is great for killing germs.

I really think that is your problem. You have something growing in your bator and it is causing most of your development problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by