I'm grounded from chickens :'(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Apparently I spend too much time with my kids (chickens) as my DH has banned me from them until 5pm. I do understand as I'm supposed to be working, but 1-I'm bored, and 2-I'm addicted! I live on site so they are a little ways away but if I walk around I can see them. Boo. I miss my kids. [​IMG] "Hi babies, I can seeeeee yoooooooouuuuuuu!" <~~this is me every time I go outside. Does the obsession ever lessen, lol.
    P.S. Seriously, what DO non-chicken people fill their lives with?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Can't you take a chick break like some take a smoke break?? Just like 10 minutes??? And what about your lunch break??? Heeheehee....[​IMG] I know I rush home during the week to check on my little flock [​IMG]

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I tried to but I got in trouble [​IMG] As for breaks...what are those? Part of my job here is to run the scale (big trucks) so I have to sit and weigh a bunch of trucks and try to cram all my paperwork and phone calls in when I can. Ahh, I love harvest! Today I have to wait until way after the 5:00 limit (it's 5:30 now) because we're still busy, but when DH left I spent about 5 minutes with them. Mostly I was rounding them up back into the coop as they were out and helping themselves to the cherry tomato bushes [​IMG] I would have let them have their fill but I have morning glory in between 2 of the bushes and didn't want to risk it. Of course though, I almost missed a customer who was in my office when I returned [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I know your pain. My DH yaps about MY time I spend with my chickens. This is what I have to say about that//// [​IMG]

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Upgrade your paperwork to the computer, and get a videocam hooked up in the coop -- so you can play it on your work screen?

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Aw, that's criminal, banning you from chickens. Hmph.

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I hate it when work interferes with fun stuff.....[​IMG]

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Well, my hubby felt the same way(felt I put the chickens above him and spent too much time with them) and among other reasons we began having marital problems(doing MUCH better now)... So, I sold and gave away my whole flock... Incubators, brooder, everything went...
    Now we are working it all out and we agreed on a few(9) hens only after he found out you don't need a roo for eggs... He was missing the fresh eggs and so was his family I think.
    What he(Non-chicken person) does for his hobby is watch collecting... He enjoys it and I even get a watch from him now n then.

9. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Oh he's usually very nice about it all, doesn't want to hear about it anymore for the most part but very nice. I have to give him credit, he did listen to me ramble on about what kind of chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys I want to get next spring, and he did help me build some things. He's a keeper. But when you work for a family business everyone has to pull more than their share. It's 7:20 and I rounded up the chickens and put them to bed, so I saw them for a little bit but sure enough, a truck came right after so I didn't get to say much of a good night. I may have to set up a video cam for the chickes, that would be awesome!

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My DH doesn't get it either. I told him to give it a rest, it's my hobby and I enjoy it! Besides I told him, You have lots of hobbies--fishing, hunting quad riding, hiking, scuba diving.....I'm sure I missed a few and I only have the one! You know what he told me? I only have one hobby too.....I'm a Sportsman! Gotta love him, makes me laugh even when I want to smack him!

I think the web cam is a great idea. You could get a (sort of) chicken fix and still not miss any trucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by