im having a hard time with these chicks legs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lightbread48, May 5, 2008.

1. lightbread48

lightbread48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    probably about 2 months ago i hatched 5 chicks. I have 3 of them left, but yesterday I went out to the pen and one of them had a hurt leg. It looks like splayed legged chick looks but it has been fine until yesterday. Also one of my other hens got out a while ago and tried to fight another hen through the fence. Her leg wound up looking like that too. (im thinking she got it hung in the fence and pulled it out of joint or broke it) she finally wouldnt get up so i had to cull her. I dont know what has happened to the chick to make its leg be like that. I dont want it to suffer if its not going to get any better which it doesnt appear to be doing. Does anyone know what i should do? I think this breed of chicken must have weak joints or something because this will be the 3rd chick that has had leg trouble (thats why I only have 3 of 5 left).

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Could be a vitamin deficiency. Try adding some vitamins to their water.

3. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    im pritty shure its sprawled chicken syndrome, if it is it will never get better.

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    It might be caused by vitamin deficiency, especially since it has happened to more than one bird. It is worth a try at least.

5. lightbread48

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    what is sprawled chicken syndrome?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't know what that syndrome is myself, but other than a vitamin defficency in the breeder parents, could very well be just residual weakness from a poor hatch too.

7. lightbread48

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    Maybe the hatch wasnt a strong group of birds. I dont know whats going on with them. It seems to me that they should be tougher than the other birds because these are supposed to be "fighting chickens". I am learning fast that this is not the breed of bird that I want. I have not nor do i plan to hatch anymore of these chickens.

After another day, the poor babies leg is completely backwards. I dont want to sound like a killer, but I dont think I can keep on watching him try to keep up with everybody else. when he tries to walk he winds up hopping, pushing a little with the hurt leg. its terribly sad. the only time he stands up now is when he is trying to get around. he hops a few times and falls down again.

8. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, I cull for this myself. Typically this kind of thing is from a poor hatch, or problems with the parents. Please don't judge all games based on one bad experience either. My games are some of the best fowl I have, period, and I am just a breeder.

9. lightbread48

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    CUDA how often have you had this problem?

10. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Not a lot. It does rear it's head now and then, and is usually when I am using young fowl to hatch from, or if you have an incubation issue. If birds don't hatch nice and healthy here, they get culled right away because of the quantities I raise, and to keep my flock free from weaker birds. I can tell you that my games are some of the strongest hatching birds I have, and are excellent broodies. You will also find that if you have some well bred games, they are much more disease resistant, and deal with health issues much better than some other breeds IMO.

Last edited: May 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by