I'm having major wisdom tooth/teeth issues. Advice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by preppy*hippie*chick, Apr 20, 2009.

1. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    All four wisdom teeth have been showing through my gums for a while, but now the one on the lower right side is causing problems. Every time I close my mouth I'm biting the inside of my cheek way back by my jaw. Ther is absolutely no way to prevent it other than pulling my cheek out with my fingers! I have an icky whitish callous sort of thing back there with a sort of "dimple" in the center from this. The surrounding gum is swollen and tender, I seem to have a small knot on my jawline that is not on the other side and most alarming of all I have had a mostly mild but sometimes severe headache since it got really bad. No Exedrin or painkiller will touch it and if it's severe when I go to bed then it's at least moderate when I wake up. I've had this head thing for about 10 days now. I know what I should do, but I'm uninsured and fairly broke.

Advice, opinions and sympathy encouraged. I probably don't deserve the sympathy since I'm not doing anything for it.

2. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    get em out! i got all 4 of mine out last month. It wasnt too bad at all. there are still holes back there, but so much better than the pain. It was a quick simple surgery and i was back to being good in like 3 days. (but i did find out that me and vicodin dont get along..)

3. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I can't afford to. I don't think so, anyway. I seem to recall that it's kind of expensive.

4. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Unfortunately the only solution is to have them removed. Most people have them removed in there teens as they are almost always likely to cause problems in the long run. For now I would take somthing a bit stronger. Just try not to get addicted to pain meds as they are habit forming. The great thing about our government is without money or insurance you are just out of luck. You might tke out a loan to have them removed or if they can be pulled without oral surgery you could probaly just put them on a credit card. Good luck. Had the same issues before having mine surgically removed.

5. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Get em gone, soon! Is there a med/dental school anywhere close to you? You might try there, as a "guinea pig" for interns (don't worry they're supervised ). Clove oil might help deaden some of your discomfort, but you're really going to have to get them out before they cause serious health issues. Good luck...

6. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Actually I've been looking into the Ohio State Dental School (OSU).

7. BFeathered

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Run, girl! My dad was a prof at MCV, and always dragged me down to the dental school, even though we had insurance! Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, and don't be afraid to be upfront about what you can/can't pay. Your health is at stake, so don't mess around.

8. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Yeah, I'll call them tomorrow/today technically. The headaches are kind of scary. My aunt had a sinus infection that she let go and spent a week in the hospital.

9. BFeathered

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    PM or e-mail me and let me know what you find out. Or just let us all know... the more the merrier! Just for TMI, I didn't get my wisdom teeth out at the dental school. I only had the top 2, but the dolts didn't put me out far enough, so I woke up with a hammer and chisel in my mouth... apparently the root was wrapped around my jaw bone! So go for the up-to-date newbies and git 'er done.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It sounds to me as if you have gotten a canker sore where you bit your cheek. I get them fairly often and they often cause me to have a sore knot under my jaw line where the sore is located. I agree with the others though that the only way to keep it from happening again is to get those wisdom teeth out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by