Im having problems HELP PLZ

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hapjr, Dec 9, 2012.

1. hapjr

hapjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    Ok ive been incubatong some eggs and they arent hatching on due date. So i waited a week and opened them yhe chicks were alive but not ready. Idk why. The yolk sack eas still there. Ive check humdity and looks great nut i did notice my still air Styrofoam incubator wasnt hold temp a night. Cant figurr that out either i need help i've already lost 4 dozen dang good eggs.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Lower temperatures results in delayed embryo development. I.e. if the temperatures are not high enough the chicks will hatch too late and they will probably not survive. You will have to get that temperature stable at 99*-100* otherwise you are going to keep wasting eggs. Have you got a good quality, accurate thermostat in there? That will help.

3. chicknlove

chicknlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I have a styro bator too. I have a blanket I cover only 1/2 to 1/4 of the bator leaving all the plugs out and not covering the holes for circulation I can keep the temps more steady through the night.. I would check on it every 20 min or so at first just to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

4. Fly Fisher

Fly Fisher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Equally important at this time of year is having your incubatoe in a stable environment. The room should stay around 70 degrees 24 hours a day for best results with foam bators. This may be a challeng during the winter months.

If you can it may help to place the incubator in a room with a thermostat that controls the heat to that particular zone.

Fly

5. hapjr

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    Thank u all. I wrapped it up last night and it only dropped one to two degrees ama move it to the living room today

6. hapjr

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    Ok i moved it to the living room where the temp stays b/w 64 and 69 degrees and the incubator is holding at 99°-100° on the bottom of the rack. Is that good?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by