i'm having problems regulating the temp in the bator....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ponderchick, May 1, 2008.

1. ponderchick

ponderchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    east texas
    my temp in the styrofoam cooler bater is going from 93 degrees up to 104 degrees...does it need to be lower? also i haven't done the water wiggler yet, so when i get the wiggler will the temp be ok as long as the temp in the wiggler is 99.5? please advise...thank you

2. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    The temp should be between 100-103 degrees. However, 104 is not too bad. I rather have it a little lower than higher. The chicks may come a day or two late, but at least they won't cook. When are your chicks due? Some of mine are due today and the temp does tend to spike a little when the chicks are hatching. Also for some reason I have had a heckof a time getting the temp regulated this time around. Don't know why! If your running air conditioning that can also be a factor or opening and closing the bator. So m any different things can affect the bator temp. [​IMG] Good Luck! I'm sure they will all be fine. [​IMG]

3. ponderchick

ponderchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    east texas
    thank you for the fast response...this is my 1st bator, so i'm trying to get everything set up correctly. i do not have any eggs in it yet, but i hope to get some soon...i really want to get some of the marans and the buff orpingtons eggs to hatch. my husband wants some turkeys too....i guess we have become addicted..lol

4. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    LOL! We are all addicted on this board. Tehe! Make sure you let your bator run for at least 12 hours to regulate your temp. Also, any eggs you get should sit for an hour on the counter to get room temp before you put them in the bator. [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Don't forget that it's going to behave differently when it has a bunch of eggs in it. Air temps can range that much, but if you have a wiggler (or homemade version, like I do) you'll find that the "egg temp" is a lot more stable. Try putting some heat-holding rocks (clean ones) or small jars of warm water with their lids on to help hold the heat. Makes a big difference. [​IMG]
    Good luck with your future hatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by