I'm hooked on the meaties

ZooSD

Chirping
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
Sparta, TN
Just processed two of my first group of Cornish X yesterday at 8wks. The smaller of the two cleaned and cut up weighed 5.4lbs minus the tail, feet and skin it was just at 8lbs live weight. Is that average for the breed? I found absolutely no fat on them and they look so much nicer than the birds at the grocery. I'm hooked and was also wondering the difference between the CornishX and Red Rangers.

Wait until you cook them.
droolin.gif
You'll be rehooked.

Just processed two of my first group of Cornish X yesterday at 8wks. The smaller of the two cleaned and cut up weighed 5.4lbs minus the tail, feet and skin it was just at 8lbs live weight. Is that average for the breed? I found absolutely no fat on them and they look so much nicer than the birds at the grocery. I'm hooked and was also wondering the difference between the CornishX and Red Rangers.

Good lord that's the largest Cornish X I've ever heard of. Mine are 5-6lbs live weight at 8 weeks, smaller once you pluck and gut. You must be feeding them magical feed. They are nicer than grocery birds, though.

Red Rangers finish at 5-6lbs average live weight at 9-12 weeks (instead of Cornish X which you process at 6-8 weeks and average 5-6lbs at that age). They also don't have quite as rounded carcasses, but they are still very plump (especially compared to a regular slow growing chicken).

(*Edited for spelling.)

Last edited:
I live in an area where I can't have a bunch of crowing roosters so if the rangers take longer to get to this size they would probably be noisier too?

Good lord that's the largest Cornish X I've ever heard of. Mine are 5-6lbs live weight at 8 weeks, smaller once you pluck and gut. You must be feeding them magical feed. They are nicer than grocery birds, though.

Red Rangers finish at 5-6lbs average live weight at 9-12 weeks (instead of Cornish X which you process at 6-8 weeks and average 5-6lbs at that age). They also don't have quite as rounded carcasses, but they are still very plump (especially compared to a regular slow growing chicken).

(*Edited for spelling.)
I have them on starter crumbles for 4wks then started fermented turkey grower for weeks 5-7 and now they get fermented lay crumbles.

HeartMoss , do the rangers eat like pigs, make a huge mess and taste the same? Are they noisy? Are they more heat tolerant?

Last edited:
I live in an area where I can't have a bunch of crowing roosters so if the rangers take longer to get to this size they would probably be noisier too?

Hm, I've never done the rangers so I couldn't say on the crowing issue. Some of my slow-growing cockerels have started crowing at 8 weeks
hmm.png
so I wouldn't be surprised if the rangers may start crowing before they're slaughtered.

And I wonder if the fermentation is what gets their weights up so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom