1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm hooked

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by revmichael, Feb 17, 2015.

1. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    I started out on 2013 with 4 barred rocks, one died. I've moved into the country. My new spouse loves the girls and named them, lol

We are wanting to sell eggs to neighbors and friends so were getting 5 more girls soon. Were hooked, lol

Time to build a bigger coop and run for the soon to be 8 girls. On a side note, the veggie garden is loving the wonderful compost that is enriched with thegirls black gold, poop.

Was thinking of getting another breed so i know who is who as far as age goes when they get oldrr. Now to decide, was thinking RIR but heard they can be mean.

Any suggestions for good temperment and great layers.

2. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Last year we picked up a red star and 1 black star. They are sweet most of the time, great with people but a little cranky at night with the new flock when it is time to roost. Nothing very bad. They have been laying machines even through the winter and short days. They lay 6 days out of 7 and we don't have additional light in our coop. BA are great sweet birds too just don't lay as much.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    RIR are fantastic layers. I have one that has layed over 300 eggs her first year. I've had one that was really sweet and curious, and one that's a bit aggressive to me (but I've re-trained her so that's no longer a problem!).

As far a flock dynamics go, I've actually found that barred rocks are sometimes bossy and mean to other flock members. I've seen this in 3 of my 5 barred rocks over the years. However, I haven't seen them act aggressive to each other ("birds of a feather . . . ").

Another possibility is Easter eggers if you're looking for some interesting colors in the egg cartons (customer appeal). Some lay really well, and others only moderately, but I like their temperament, cold-hardiness and smaller size (= decreased feed consumption).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Wyandottes are great layers and they lay big eggs. The one I have is sweet and did wonderful going into the existing flock.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm fond of EE. They're good layers of colorful eggs, and they have such quirky personalities. Wyandottes make great winter layers. What is your climate? You could go with Sex links, or comets. They are laying machines, but have a reputation of burning out early.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Any of the sex links red or black would be a good choice, they lay well but will have to be replaced sooner. More barred rocks or even white rocks would be a good choice also, the whites are a little bigger but lay bigger eggs than the barred rocks do. At least all of them I've had did.
    Black australorps are also a good choice, they lay about like your BR. Wyandottes are another good choice, they lay a little less but are cold hearty and easy going birds. I also like to keep a couple of EE's just for the egg color in the carton.
    A lot of people love the RIR's but every time I've tried them I found them to be bossy and not lay any better than the other girls. Just remember that the same breed of chickens from different sources may be miles apart in laying and temperament.

7. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    Australorps' are wonderful large birds, great layers, almost every day.. Our Easter eggers lay every other day, medium pink eggs. They both are very well tempered, and friendly, they are also so pretty!

8. ChickenNamaste

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    [​IMG]
    Phoenix our Easter egger.. She is so sweet, lets you pick her right up.

9. ChickenNamaste

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    [​IMG]
    Astrid the Australorp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by