I'm hoping I'm not the only person here who sniffs their poultry...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by justanotheramy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. justanotheramy

justanotheramy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Most of the year, my goose Ida just smells like... a goose. Feathery. But during nesting season she smells like hard boiled egg, particularly her neck.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

[​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I truly can't say that I have noticed. maybe I need to get to sniffing.............

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Uh, NO!

4. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    I have never smelled my geese before [​IMG] So I don't know [​IMG]

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    We like the way our geese smell, and especially the way they feel. Holding one is like having a down-filled ski jacket or sleeping bag in your arms. My young son especially comments on their fragrence, but he just says "they smell like goose!" We also like to feel under their wings on a cold night, it's so downy-soft & warm there.

I enjoy helping to run the Poultry Tent at our county fair, you can meet so many interesting people there. Once I was holding one of my hens & a woman asked if she could hold her. She took the hen in her arms and stuck her nose in the hen's neck feathers and smiled, saying "I used to have chickens of my own and miss the way that they smell!"

You're not alone in this! [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    As the owner of (currently) 16 chickens and 4 ducks..... sometimes as many as 52 birds......

No way! As my cosmic karma or some such stuff has decreed, I am allergic to feathers and the dander contained therein. Same applies to cat and dog dander, which is why I have 3 cats and 2 dogs. [​IMG] Talk about a glutton for punishment! [​IMG]

7. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I do! I love holding my hens and I can tell when they are not feeling well by their smell. I really think a healthy chicken has a fresh, sweet smell (hard to describe), but if they're not feeling well, I can always tell. I know it sounds wierd, but it's true.

I love holding my geese too, especially since I recently got them. Since I cuddle my birds regularly, they'd better get used to it [​IMG] The feel of a goose is so neat! They're so cuddly and downy soft. It made me dream of stuffing my pillow with their feathers. [​IMG]

8. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I love the way my geese smell. Whenever I get home from college or a trip, I go over to the goose pen to pick up my favourite goose and bury my face in his back. It's the smell of home! My mom calls them "goose pillows".

Oh, and I'm allergic to feathers, so eventually I start having a sneezing fit and the goose gets upset and the moment is ruined. [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Psssst...... don't tell anybody but I like to sniff rooster wattles.

10. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by