Im hoping this is right spot question about standard size laying eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bock_Bock, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    so what i was wondering if you have a standard size hen who mates with a bantam rooster, is it possible for the hen to lay an egg with a bantam size chick in it, after so long i wondered this, i dont know why considering i have a bantam hen now that from the batch i hatched was all standard size eggs so i was wondering, do this chicks hatch out standars size and just dont grow as fast or much as standard thus morphing to a bantam size or do the chicks just not take up all the room in the egg and hatch out smaller then standard?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    good question. I know I have had a large fowl cross with a bantam hen, who laid a regular bantam egg. The hen hatched the same size as the bantams and grew faster. I think that a small chick might have trouble with excess fluid, so my guess would be like you said, that it hatches normal size, but just doesn't grow as much.

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    so your hen hatched as a bantam but grew faster and ended as a bantam or was closer to being the size of a standard?

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    She grew up midsize. This was a big Marans roo and a little BTW Japanese hen. They all hatched about the same size, but she quickly outgrew them. Here she is, the barred pullet, with her sister from the same hatch, a BTW Japanese.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thats a perfect shot nice looking too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by