I'm I considered a predator now? first loss- poor girl...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bigreyhorse, Jul 21, 2008.

1. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm so frustrated,
    yesterday I was watering and all 26 chickens were gathered around the large waterer as I was temporarily setting it down so they could quench their thirst, I did a quick head count (I hadn't done one lately and they we're all there, good time to do it right?) well a golden laced wyandotte was missing, searched the whole pen, not there, bring out a sibling to make sure I'm not miss counting... sure enough shes gone.
    Look around the coop ect all the usual places we go back to inside the coop, all the chickens had cleared from around the waterer theres a couple feathers sticking out from underneath, omgosh!!! yep she didn't make it the thing was full to the top and broke her neck when I sat it down(I didn't feel a thing), they're 8wks now plenty big for a coop.
    Anyone else do something this stupid?

bigrey

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Stuff like this happens often, unfortunately. That is tough, I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Aww, im sorry. I have not done it...but I have read on here it has happened before to others. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Don't beat your self up. Things happen. SO sorry for your loss.
    [​IMG]

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I'm really sorry. Don't let it get to you. Accidents happen. Learn and move on so you can enjoy the rest of the gang. Sorry again.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Shucks. I guess it was her time. I'm also certain that from here on out, you'll always watch where you set the waterer down. I have mine raised up on blocks. You certainly didn't intend to hurt your bird so rest easy knowing it was simply an accident. no, you're not a predator.

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I was worried sick that I was going to do it with my quail, they were so much smaller and faster than the chicks I was used to. Luckily, after psychotically swiping under anything I was setting down, I never squished any of them.

I did, however, fail to secure a hanging heat lamp and while I was at school it slipped further than where I had it adjusted. I trapped 6 little newly hatched quail underneath it and cooked them alive. [​IMG] At least your one baby died quick and wasn't crispy from being roasted.. [​IMG]

Stuff like this happens. Try not to feel too bad about it.

-Kim

8. spiderman

spiderman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    The Sticks, VT
    Accidents happen, learn from them. Sorry to hear

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sorry about the tragic accident...

10. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    So sorry to hear about your loss...my daughter had a similar accident watering chicks however she stepped on it--they are somewhat tame. In any case--we dug a hole and had a memorial for the chick...I think it made her feel better--accidents will happen so you can't beat yourself up...have a better evening [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by