I'm I supposed to do this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Easter eggers, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I'm wondering if any time I go to my flock if I should wash my hands? Do any of you do this?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I wouldn't unless I had been handling someone else's chickens...and in that case I would shower and change clothes and shoes, too.

3. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Always a good idea!! before & after [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I wash my hands every single time I spend time in the coop holding my chickens. My children do this as well. You can get sick from ingesting chicken poop.[​IMG]

5. littlefork

littlefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I always wash my hands when I come back from the coop. I also keep a carton of those Clorox wipes in the coop to wipe my hands if I'm not coming straight back to the house.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I don't handle my chickens unless I absolutely have to and this usually involves some dirty work, so I wash afterwards if I'm not just going on to some other dirty choring. Wash my hands before? That would be like washing my hands before I wipe my patooty! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I don't wash my hands every time I handle my chickens, only if I get something visibly on me.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I always wash hands when I come in from outside, no matter where I've been or what I've been doing. But not before I go to the coop unless I've been away and been around other birds or animals.

9. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    I am all ways washing my hands before and after i handle my chickens or eggs.
    just cuz bird are so gross. i love them to death but they cant help being so messy.

10. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Wash good if i have been messing with he coop. Sanitize lotion if i have just petted or inspected/held the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by