I'm in a pickle ... mixing new, young chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cherstin, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I hatched two d'Uccle eggs on October 19th, just two days ago. Fearing something may happen to one of them leaving the other alone, I quickly placed an order of "day-old" chicks from Stromberg's hatchery. I've never ordered from a hatchery before, and when chicks were listed as "available," I assumed they would literally be sent the day I ordered, or possibly the day after. Stupid mistake!

I just found out my 25-chick order of "day-olds" will be shipped on October 26th, so I'm guessing these chicks will have been hatched the 25th. I will have two chicks that will be ten days old, and receiving 25 chicks that will be just three days old.

Any advice? Will I be able to mix them right away in the brooder, or should I look into a second brooding area until they are maybe 2 weeks and 3 weeks old? I don't want anyone to get picked on, but since I'll be mixing two olders in with 25 youngers, I'm not even sure if it would make a difference. (Strength in numbers, etc.)

Thank you!

PS: Minus the worry, I'm so excited! [​IMG]

2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Usually, (so I was told) under a month, chicks should mix easily.
    I had 2 one week old sebrights, when I had just one D'anver chick hatch. I tried to partition the brooder as the Sebrights were 3 times the size of the tiny D'anver but the tiny baby just kept getting itself stuck trying to reach the other chicks.
    When I flung up my hands in disgust after rescuing stuck chick for the fifth time in as many minutes and removed the partition, they were fine. It got pecked 2 or 3 times without injury then they were fine.
    I imagine as you'll have so many chicks arriving, it will probably cow your older chicks completely! [​IMG]
    My little guy is so speedy and tries so hard all the time to climb onto or under the bigger chicks that they don't quite know what to do about it, your tiny chicks will probably do the same as they see anything bigger than them as mum.
    I would recommend cleaning out your brooder and changing its layout slightly when you are ready to put the little chicks in, then the bigger guys won't feel so much like its theirs and will be less likely to try and defend it. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Yes I was going to say a week difference between birds is nothing at this age and just put them in there and they will figure it out'

Medicated feed and unlimited supply with vitamin water for when they come you could add electrolyte type water the lady said to me from the hatchery and they should do fine. 90* temp the first week and then drop each week by 5* degrees until the last one is fully feathered and they will all go out in a coop together.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG]
    I just mixed my bunch but I was afraid to do it in either of their brooders so I waited till I had the coop far enough along that way there would be no "owners of the area" like with dogs - but a neutral territory that they were both new too! There was no problem and has been no problem! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Wonderful advice ... thank you, all! [​IMG]

I no longer feel like I might have made a mistake. Your advice is very encouraging, so I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by