1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm in a situation, but I want to raise them now. Always wanted chickens!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by capthollis, Oct 14, 2012.

1. capthollis

capthollis Out Of The Brooder

I don't want to sound bad here, and yes I'm new to the forum. My Grandpa had placed an order for 25 baby Austrolap, or I believe this is how you say the name? Any how the order I believe will be here the 25th. The deal is that he has just recently passed 2 days ago, and we will dearly miss him. I now have the responsibility of taking these chicks, and I want them, and don't mind the responsibility, I've always wanted chickens, now I got them. I have 2 of his black austrolap hens here now, and I have built a Cadillac chicken coop for them. It has 5 laying boxes , it's 8' long, 4' wide, and built to withstand a hurricane, with a nice ramp, and a roost pole, plus a yard area where they can go in and out. I'm glad he has the austrolap chickens, because I'm really sure those were what they raised in Iraq, and we ate many an egg off them during the 3 yrs I was there, plus they were docile. The question is, when these chicks get here do I need to split about 1/4 of this coop I built, and just raise them on that side. I really need some help here friends, I want to make this a success for sure. My 3 yr old daughter is so excited about all this, and I want her to be proud. I haven't been around her much being that I was out of country, and this will be hers and Mine first project we'll get together to do. I guess I need a starting point, I'm fealing a tad overwhelmed . Thank You All for reading ..,Semper Fi.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You could make part of the coop for them, just make sure the adults can't get their beaks in and peck the chicks. Also they will need a brooder lamp so the temp directly under the lamp is about 95 degrees. Have areas so the chicks can get out of the heat if they get too warm. Decrease the brooder temp by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered out at 4-6 weeks old, then they can come off the lamp. You can merge them in with the adults once they are about 15-16 weeks old. Enjoy them

3. capthollis

How much room would they need , would. 1 1/2 ft X 3 ' area be big enough ? Thank You

4. capthollis

Thank You sir?,....

5. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    First 3 weeks, 6 square inches minimum for each bird. 3-6 week is 1 square foot per bird. 6-15 weeks 2-3 square feet per bird. I would make half your coop for the young ones and half for the adult hens, since you said you only have 2 adults. You could probably introduce the chicks in with the 2 hens when they are 14 weeks, but there may be some pecking order stuff for them to work out. If they can all see each other as they grow up but cannot touch each other that will help when you put the youngins in with the hens.

1 person likes this.
  6. capthollis

Well alright my friends! This sounds so fabulous and fun! I can't wait ! Lol. My daughter is very excited. What kind of feed do they need when they are that young?

7. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    chick starter, available at any feed store, either medicated or not depending if it warm where you
    are..
    Thank You Very much for your sevice to our country. my Oldest son is still in country.

8. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Give them growers pellets brokenn up until they're about 8 weeks old hen just give them growers pellets until they are about 18 weeks old then start to mix in corn

9. capthollis

Thank y'all once again! Duckie Mama, God Bless your son! Is he in afganistan ? That's where I just left ... I live in south Tx, so we have plenty of warm weather, but we have lots of Mosquitos too. Ill take photos, and keep y'all posted on my progress.

10. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Starter/grower feed until 18 weeks or ALL are laying, then you can keep on the grower with oyster shell as free choice or layer feed. They need the extra calcium for good strong eggshells. I keep mine on grower and offer shell free choice. I am constantly adding birds and too young for layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by