1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm in FL - very hot & humid - help with new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kathiej4455, Jun 23, 2011.

1. kathiej4455

kathiej4455 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    I just got 6 assorted new chicks from my local feed store, and I'm not sure if I should put a heat lamp on them at night. I think I read that for the first week, it should be 90 degrees, so I guess I should at night, but leave a place for them to get away from it if it is too hot? They are just a few days old. Easter Eggers, Polish bantams and frizzles.

2. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Hello from Tampa...are they outside?

Mine are inside but I have shut all the AC vents in that room. I have from 1+ week to 3+ weeks and the room gets to be 80+...During the day I have the lamp on very low (it has a deemer) and at night I have it almost on high (is a 90w).....I played with it the 1st few days and that is what seems to work best for mu bunch.

3. Jillian

Jillian Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Gainesville
    Yep, leave them somewhere to get to if they're too warm. They'll self-regulate. If they're cold they'll be cuddling under the light (which might mean it needs to be lowered and warmer) and if they're hot they'll be spread out as far as they can get.

Even with little parrot babies who couldn't walk but just scoot around on their bellies we would leave an area unheated. They're smart enough even that young to move away or closer to heat sources as needed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by