I'm in love (and need name help)

SunHwaKwon

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 19, 2015
North Central Florida
Out of 16 shipped eggs, I had one egg hatch :( I also had one egg that I had set aside from my blue slate hen right before she was killed, and it made it too! So now I have two babies and I'm already in love with them. We spent a while this morning snuggling with them peeping in my ears and being super curious. My slate hen was hand raised by her original owner, which made her easier to handle, but she also was very aggressive about taking treats (grapes) and would sometimes snatch my fingers, so I'm going to minimize hand fed treats with these two. I'm very happy that baby turned out slate (the Tom was a Spanish black, also hand raised and very good natured but killed two weeks before the hen).

Anyway, I've named the Holland White "Moose" but am still thinking on my slate baby's name. I like people names, animals, random words. Any suggestions? Dad's name was Leroy, Mom was Blue, both named by first owners.

Last edited:
Sorry, I kept trying to post pics but it wasn't working from the app. They were only hatched about 4am on Saturday so it'll be a while yet before I know sexes. I tried to get individual pictures of each but as you can see only one cooperated remotely. Moose has a bit of dried blood on his/her head but I wasn't sure if or how I should clean it. I'm afraid of making them cold after reading how easily poults die. I wasn't even sure the slate was going to make it as she/he showed signs of Flip Over Syndrome on the first day but I used some tips I found here and now everything seems fine. The slate baby has a peculiar darker dot on the head that I don't see on other slate turkeys when I google "blue slate poults"...maybe it's some sort of mark from dad.

I'll add that the small box they are in is very temporary. I was going to give them to a broody but she doesn't seem to want anything to do with them so I will be setting up the dog crate today. My husband is thrilled to have more birds in the house (not). We went through this last year with 30 guinea keets. What a mess.

Last edited:
Oh they are so cute! Maybe you should call the slate "spot"!

And I can't imagine having 30 keets in the house. Wow!

I was just handling the poults and noticed this on the slate one:

A snood already! Does this increase the likelihood that its a boy? I cannot find Moose's, and she is smaller in general, but I don't know how her parents compare in size. Blue was average but Leroy was very large, so maybe that is why the slate poult is larger.

Oh geez that is too cute! Post that picture over on the Turkey Talk thread. There are a bunch of folks that raise blues and I bet they could tell you more about snood size....

Back
Top Bottom