Im In Love! (Greenfire Farms Sweedish Flower Hens)

Kathy, I like to hear you say how tired you are of hearing people relate to showing birds on ALL those Heritage threads you post regularly. I don't see you telling Walt how tired you are. Just me
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope not insulting at all. And I love what MississippiFarmBoy had to say...all of it - but especially "for the pure and simple love of ichickens."

They imported 19 chickens. That has to cost a pretty penny. I see nothing wrong with charging enough that they can recoup some of that. It only seems like good business.

Quote:
To all you negatives, my thread is supposed to be happy. A real poultry enthusiast enjoys the uniqueness of all breeds.

I agree that $400 a pair is not an unreasonable price. I have also imported from the UK and importing is NOT cheap. What IS unreasonable is to expect a person who has paid the hefty price to import birds to sell them for $10 a pair. If it were not for those who are willing to take on the expense and aggravation of importing, we would not have a lot of the birds here that we have. Just my 2 cents.

Edited to add: I don't show my birds and I have not made big bucks from selling them....but the enjoyment I get from seeing those big fluffy butts running around the yard....PRICELESS !!

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with it either. Nor did I say so. It will not change the fact, those who spend $?00 are into it for the money, only to resell either chicks or eggs. Nothing wrong with it for Greenfire, he earned his share. Importing takes time and energy and plenty of money, that many will not do. I am not talking about him, I am referiing to the chat about "who would spend $400 for a pair of birds?".
Also, without a breed club this breed will not get accepted into the APA. Which means few if any 4-H leaders would encourage their kids to pursue this breed.
Then like I already said the breed will rely on the diehards breeders who are into this breed for it to survive and more importantly thrive. The Lav color birds are being used in many projects and those projects have breed clubs behind them. Sadly this will not happen here. And I predict as soon as you see Chocolate Orp bantams become available you will see breeds like this loose the interest of those who want to make a buck. Thus only the diehards who are into a breed which has no chance of being accepted into the APA are left to carry the breed on. And for who do, congrats! They are a pretty bird. Enjoy them....

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with it either. Nor did I say so. It will not change the fact, those who spend $?00 are into it for the money, only to resell either chicks or eggs.

Bill - I paid a lot of money to import my Orps from the UK and I did NOT do it because I am into it only for the money to sell chicks or eggs. For you to make the statement that every person that does it is in it for the money is very unfair and just plain untrue.

Quote:
I'm sorry, Bill. I did not mean to be insulting to you. I apologize. Yes, I do have some nice show worthy stock, and I do intend to keep them pure and work with them. I doubt if I will ever show, but who knows ..... Never say never.....

This breed, on this thread, has nothing to do with showing, in my opinion. Again, just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom