I'm in love with Scovies butttt

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chloelouise, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Chloelouise

Chloelouise New Egg

Jul 15, 2009
    I live in a really urban area. I have got my dad to agree to buy some female ducks because the second of our current pairs curly drake feathers appeared yesterday but we want eggs and babies! I want a scovie hen so bad, I think they are the most gorgeous little things. But I live in the city and muscovies fly and I CANT have my little lady flying into the neighbors territory. Could I get her wings altered so she would be flightless? if so would you recommend it? Is it pricey and where would I take her to have it done?

Or am I out of luck [​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    You can clip their wings, but in case you didnt know scovies crossed with anything but a scovie will end up with sterile babies.

Edited to add that you can do the clipping your self , its easy and not pricey.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I just clip my scovies wings. You just have to make sure you do it again everytime they molt. You can also pinion (i think thats it anyways) the wings but I dont really know anything about that.

4. Chloelouise

Chloelouise New Egg

Jul 15, 2009
    I know their babies would be sterile, but I wouldn't be hatching for any other reason than a hobby. I intend to get a hen of a mallard derived breed too.

I'm glad I can clip them myself, I might be a little nervous about it though. Anyone have info about pinioning, or whatever it is called?

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I read this as you love the butt of scovies...

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I did too rainplace. I was like hmm... I like scovie butts too [​IMG]

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    My scovies really don't seem interested in flying around. They will fly if something [read dog] chases them, but just waddle around mostly following the geese, nibbling the grass.......

9. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Well she's right, their little butts just get to doing that scovie wiggle and ya just gotta love em. (Even if that's not what she meant!) [​IMG]

10. Chloelouise

Chloelouise New Egg

Jul 15, 2009
    Hahahahahaha I didn't even think of that when I posted it.... I definitely had a DUR moment [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by