I'm in Love...

Queen of the Lilliputians

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Maine
So.. I adore my chicks. Who doesn't really? They are so darn cute. Yesterday was their one week birthdate. So far they are adorable and hilarious to watch, and we love holding them. But other than a few being more tolerant than others, there has been no affection returned.

Well, tonight I had them all in the kitchen loose. I was checking bums, checking health, and holding each one. I was also using that time to change their box. Anyway.. so I had gone into the living room for a second to get something. When I returned, two of my chicks came running and flapping over to greet me!
love.gif

Meghan

Last edited:
Awww, isn't it a great feeling?! My little Golden Campine seems to be in love with me. As soon as my hand goes in the brooder, she comes a-runnin', along with my SLW. As soon as I walk in the room and say something, they all go kind of nuts and run to the side of the brooder I usually visit from. All of the chicks love it when I 'bawk, bawk, bawk' at them and immediately stop what they're doing to come see me.

Only my two Black Stars aren't too fond of the attention (they'd rather stand at the feeder and pig out!), but have actually gotten better in the last 2 days. My little Delaware loves when I bury my fingers under the bedding and play with her. She's by far the most curious. Ahhh, they're lovely aren't they?

Today I had quite the giggle because my SLW, who has so far been the first to do everything (find the food, scratch the bedding, explore the other side of the brooder after we took out the divider), was scratching and then made herself a little nest. It was so cute. She was setting and scratching underneath her body until she was surrounded by a little mound of bedding. All the other chicks came running and were looking about like 'how cool is that! How'd you do it, huh huh huh?!?'

How sweet. My bantam babies run top me when I enter the chicken house, but their mom chases they away from me. So I haven't held one yet. The mom(Killer) is too mean and she doesnt trust me. I got her and the babies when they were a few days old, so I haven't had her long.

My cornish cross roosters follow me around the yard like dogs, and my older banties will follow me at a distance.

That is so sweet! They love their mommy
smile.png

This weekend I was out in the run with my 3 8-week old RIR's. I picked one up and she settled in and fell asleep on me. Then the other two didn't want to be left out so the both jumped up on my lap and all fell asleep! My husband came around the corner and just about died laughing. He actually called me "crazy chicken lady"! Rude!

Aww, how sweet! I live right next door to my parents and care for my father's flock when he's out of town. His chickens were never handled, but they know that when I come over, I have treats. Always! A wilted bag of salad, some stale bread, a box of cereal that got weevils in it... there's always something. (He's got around 100 so I'm not over-treating, I promise!) Now they follow me around the chicken yard when I gather eggs like I'm some kind of chicken Pied Piper.

I just got my first chickens and am utterly in love with them. I want to name them all, but it's so hard when you don't know if they're pullets or cockerals yet! So far only one's got a name--Domino, a little black one that looks like he's wearing a white mask, although I've been considering naming the blue chick Godiva. And my 10 year old son is adamant that one of them be named Tufty, so probably the bilaterally tufted white one will get that name...

I just wish I knew what they'd like for a treat so I could get my babies interested in taking treats from my hand! The thing they've loved most so far was, of all things, the grit I gave them when they started catching moths in their brooder. Maybe I'll pour some of that in my palm and let them at it, eh?

Back
Top Bottom