Im in Ohio and I need nesting box

whistlin dixie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
does anyone have any extras laying around or know what I can use as a nesting box, I have 6- 2 week old hens in my basement and Im trying to get thieir house together. I have zero experience with chickens I just know Im in love!

If they are 2 weeks old, you have another 16-18 weeks before they will be needing a nest box!
big_smile.png
You can make them if your handy with some plywood and 2x4's. Thats what we did. Here's our set up:

chicks4weeksold001.jpg

I've also heard of people using plastic milk crates, old dressor drawers, boxes, etc in a pinch. You can even buy them pre-made if you dont want to make them. Most feed supply stores carry them, or can order them.

A small dog or cat crate works too (take the door off). Someone here is using cardboard boxes--lay it on its side or cut one side to make an opening. When I moved mine to a coop from a tractor, I placed an egg sized rock in each nesting box so the girls knew what they were for.

Plywood works great, any cheap type will do. Just make sure if you put a top on your boxes that it’s slanted to keep them from roosting on top and making a horrid mess up there. I’d take a photo of mine and send it but it’s freezing out there today! I have also used milk crates. Attach the bottom to the wall and put straw inside, again put something in the way so they can’t get on top or cut one side off so it’s open on top.

I’ve had as many as 20 hens using 3 nesting boxes and the crazy gals fight over just one box. You can get milk crates at Wally World or Office supply stores for about $10 I think. It’s may be cheaper and certainly is easier to put together than making one with wood esp. if you don’t have the tools. It’s also good to keep them off the floor like the photo 4H kids and mom sent. And she’s correct in that hens usually don’t start laying until they are something like 4 – 6 months old. The fun part is when they finally do start laying and you get double yolks. Phew! You know that gotta hurt.
big_smile.png

You can buy them $1 plastic totes from Walmart, Dollar stores, etc. and use them. Cut a hole in one end and you got yourself a nesting box that can be removed and cleaned with bleach water at your convenience. I'll try to get a pic of one of mine and post it for ya.

wow thank you, I would have never thought of this, I was going to spend a zillion dollars on ebay the other day, I would love to see the pictures.

Here is a pic of one of my nest boxes. Not only are they cheap, and come in various sizes, but they are very convenient if you get a broody hen. I have attatched some of these to nest shelves, but found that if you leave them unattatched, you can move a broody hen at night and (usually) keep from breaking her since you are not moving the hen only, but her whole nest. Sorry this one is so dirty, haven't cleaned it up yet to use, was gonna get ya a pic of one of my "occupied" ones, but didn't want to disturb the "expecting mother". You can weight them with sand and I've used straw, hay, woodshavings, even leaves as bedding. Alot of them seem to just like the sand alone. Add a little poultry dust to some fresh bedding, and they'll get inside and dust themselves.

nestbox.jpg

I found that old milk crates worked great for a quick fix until more permanent boxes were built. The tubs are a great idea as well, I also use them as chick brooders.

a carboard box...that's what I use. I have two stacked one on top of the other. Just tape on "lid lip" to hold the shavings/straw and cut off the rest. I added a golf ball so they knew that's where the eggs belonged (they can't tell the difference)
Here's a pic of the boxes- the blue tub was the first nest I did, but they prefered the boxes once I got those in. the green thing in the blue tub is a plastic lime---worked good as a surrogate egg for my easter eggers!
PICT4852.jpg

Here's a pic with two hens brooding
LEXUS010.jpg

Here's a pic with the chicks just hatched!
PICT5507.jpg

Good LUck

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom