I'm in Texas and looking for or looking to start a poultrty slaugher house

babalubird

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Help!

So tired of not beiing able to expand our farmer's market poultry biz! Want to offer poultry meat but can't find a slaughter house here to do it for me or can't decifer the state and USDA rules for starting our own without having to mortgage my soul to finance it!

I see USDA offers an exemption for 1000 birds a year. That would be a start, though I would hope for bigger numbers.

But I can't figure out if Texas honors this, since their rules on the USDA's second exemption with a few more rules for 20,000 birds a year is different. I understand Texas llimits it to 10,000.

Anyone here doing their own slaughtering and selling away from the farm? Or does anyone know a slaughter house where I can legally sell after slaughter?

I sure could use some guidance.

Thanks.

Connie

Contact local butcher shops, like where you would take a hog or cow to be processed. They may process birds. We use to have a local boy here who did them, but have no clue if he still does.

Nooooo, our local slaughter houses that do goats, sheep and cattle will not do chickens. It is apparently not worth their while financially or perhaps the state rules do not allow them to do both, most likely! And yes, I have inquired if they know anyone who can and the answer was no.

You cannot get a "good ol' boy" to do your slaughtering for you here in Texas and then sell the results at a farmer's market. It either has to be your own certified slaughterhouse on your property or a state or USDA certified slaughterhouse, thank you, Big Brother!

I am in Hubbard between Corsicana and Waco, TX.

So, again, does anyone in Texas know of a place I have missed?

Thank you.

Connie

Last edited:
I have no idea for TX. but, near me in MI there is a 10 month a year, strictly poultry processing business. They started the USDA plant in 2007. It has all the right $ equipment and when I asked them how manybirds they process a day ? I was told 300 birds / 5 days a week. I was only charged $3. a bird.and a dollar extra if I wanted it quartered and that included everything - weighed, vacuum sealed packaging, labled and ready to freeze. I saw at least 10 people that work there. I don't know how they are making any money? I'm not complaining, I know it's a great deal but, just doesn't add up.

Help!

So tired of not beiing able to expand our farmer's market poultry biz! Want to offer poultry meat but can't find a slaughter house here to do it for me or can't decifer the state and USDA rules for starting our own without having to mortgage my soul to finance it!

I see USDA offers an exemption for 1000 birds a year. That would be a start, though I would hope for bigger numbers.

But I can't figure out if Texas honors this, since their rules on the USDA's second exemption with a few more rules for 20,000 birds a year is different. I understand Texas llimits it to 10,000.

Anyone here doing their own slaughtering and selling away from the farm? Or does anyone know a slaughter house where I can legally sell after slaughter?

I sure could use some guidance.

Thanks.

Connie
I process chickens. If you apply for a license with TDA. I can process your chickens and you can sell them

Back
Top Bottom