I'm in the coop right now...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, May 6, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Putting my 3 oldest girls to bed. I have the lights out and they are quietly talking in the corner. It's their first night in the coop. I hope they are okay. they are 7/8 weeks old and have had their feathers for a while. I've been spoiling them and bringing them in at night. The low is in the mid 40's and I do not have a brooder lamp here. The lamp is being occupied by the second batch of chicks. They seem to be very happy. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I checked on then and they are sleeping. I have the lights out and they are not scared. I hope they don't get too cold tonight.

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Your babies will be just fine. I think we pamper our chicks too much -- since I've started using the EcoGlow Brooder I've noticed that even the babies don't spend much time under it, and are quite happy with cooler temps. If they get chilly, they'll just sit closer together. Try putting your hand in between them and just see how much body heat they put out -- you'll be surprised.

4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I hope everybody (including you) got a good nite's sleep!

5. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I do hope you stayed up and sang to them all night. Chickies are very fragile and MUST have songs sung to them all night long for the first week in the coop. Also, on the first morning in the coop you must bring them a whole watermellon and a box of raisins.

6. dweej

dweej Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Southwest MI
    Luke13:34 :

I do hope you stayed up and sang to them all night. Chickies are very fragile and MUST have songs sung to them all night long for the first week in the coop. Also, on the first morning in the coop you must bring them a whole watermellon and a box of raisins.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(in case you can't tell, I laughed out loud at that!)​

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  7. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Luke13:34 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG] BTW, my girls love being sung to. They don't mind my awful out of tune singing voice.​

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Good morning..How are you and the chickies doing?

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:They are doing great! I just turned the light on and woke them up a few minutes ago. I'm going to boil them a couple eggs for being so brave!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by