I'm in the Egg Donut Hole

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by donrae, Oct 16, 2015.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I was talking with my Mom about their Medicare, and this time of year is the "donut hole" for a lot of folks, where they have to pay out of pocket until the new year turns over.

Made me realize I'm in the Egg Donut Hole [​IMG]. My old girls have tapered down or stopped for the winter, and the young girls aren't quite old enough to take over. So, I'm paying out of pocket---and man, have eggs gone up in price!

Anyone else in the same spot, buying eggs and chicken feed?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Thank goodness my youngsters have kicked in - I get 4-5 lovely little pullet eggs a day. My big girls are down to less than one egg daily.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Not quite to the point of buying eggs, Rachel, but I went from feast to famine real quick. Last year's chicks are molting - most of them are anyway. And this year's chicks are laying but more than a few of them have bounced into that light, first time molt. I went from an average of 17-20 eggs a day to today's huge haul of 9. I've let Daphne, one of my Easter Eggers, slide too long. She hasn't laid an egg in months so why I'm still feeding her I couldn't answer. She's heading for freezer camp. If she won't feed us one way, she'll feed us the other.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm using lighting as usual,
    but all but 1 of my 6 yearlings is molting anyway.
    the 8 pullets are cranking them out tho.
    Had famine earlier this year tho,
    when I harvested the old girls before the pullets kicked in.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not yet, but close. My Easter pullets are mostly laying (still 3 slackers), which is helping. I'm getting enough right now to squeak by but not any extras.

6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    This happened a couple of years ago, and it was really painful to have to buy eggs from the grocery store. After that, I started freezing 5 to 10 dozen eggs during the spring bounty to make sure I have enough to get through the egg-less periods.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I really need to do this. I see a lot of folks do, but I always feel the abundance is never ending [​IMG]. And most years I get new chicks early enough in the year they're starting to lay now. Just got a really late start this year.

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Katie and I did that few weeks ago. We ended up freezing 9 dozen eggs. I have a feeling I'm going to be glad we did, and wish we'd done more.

9. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    You cold hearted wench you. [​IMG]

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop

Yup - and well fed.....don't forget well fed! :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by