I'm Infecting My Family with Chicken Fever!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AerieChickens, Jan 29, 2017.

1. AerieChickens

AerieChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2017
    North Carolina
    Hello, peeps!

I got my first chickens last spring, and I have to say that I am thoroughly addicted. What's more is now my mother is super addicted with me! My uncle too! (My sister, on the other hand, thinks we're all bird brains. [​IMG] And we are!)

I am so excited to join this community officially because I've been browsing it for awhile now to get ideas for my flock. Thank you guys so much for all your information and expertise.

Now for the part I know you're actually interested about.

Currently, my flock consists of 20 birds with only one having passed last year for unknown reasons. She was lovingly buried beneath one of our property's cedar trees. I've listed my current babies below. The ones with question marks after them I got for free this month from one of mom's coworkers who was moving. She didn't remember what her birds were, so I made guesses based on my own birds and browsing the internet. If anyone could help me out with identification, that'd be great! If you think they're mutts, I won't be insulted. I love all my spoiled birdies!

CHICKENS

Roosters (3)
    Carl - blue laced red wyandotte
    Wesley - olive egger
    Deacon - isbar?

Hens (15)
    Mairead - cinnamon queen
    Eabha - ameraucana
    Susan - Easter egger
    Michonne - welsummer
    Minerva - Plymouth barred rock
    Tali - French cuckoo marans
    Maizy - black sex-linked
    Jillian - Easter egger
    Dory - Easter egger
    Brienne - Easter egger?
    Minion - bantam Plymouth barred rock?
    Arya - Delaware?
    Chai - Easter egger?
    Timber II - Easter egger?
    Mocha - Easter egger?

Passed (1)
    Timber - hen - Easter egger

---

GUINEA FOWL

Male (1)
    The Iron Bull - French pearl

Hen (1)
    Adaar - French pearl

(Please excuse all the mud in the pictures below. We're in the midst of building a barn, and there's been a lot of rain lately, which is unfortunately slowing progress.)

[​IMG]
    Carl used to be my flock master, but he's been replaced by Deacon. Both of the boys are ok and get along just fine now.

[​IMG]
    Not entirely sure on these girls' breeds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wesley is sadly the bottom rooster. He wasn't too thrilled about it, but he has all the ladies he could want since Carl shares.

[​IMG]
    The new flock master with his main ladies! I'm not entirely sure what any of these guys are.

I know for biosecurity reasons I shouldn't have put in the new birds with mine right away, and it's something I'll do differently in the future. Well, they were in the 10x10 area next to the main run so everyone could meet and work out some pecking order through a fence. The hens were introduced just fine after a few hours, but the roosters had to be separated longer. In fact, unless it's a rare breed or I'm doing someone a favor, I don't think I'll take adult hens and roosters anymore. They're not as tame to me as the ones I hand-raised from chicks - of course.

Carl, my favorite rooster, will come right up and do his mating dance in demand for pets. He loves to be doted on and gets jealous if I show the other roosters any attention. If I'm loving on Wesley, he'll peck Wesley if he can. If I'm loving on Deacon, he'll fuss quietly in a corner then ignore me if I come over. Funny story, he was part of the very first four chicks I got last spring, and at the time I brought him home, I thought he was going to be a goner! Now, he's my largest bird - before I got Deacon anyway. Deacon is slowly coming around now that he's realized I almost always have treats with me when I come in to the run.

We'll be adding on a bigger chicken coop/run this spring, and this current coop/run will be converted to a breeding pen for a project I have in mind. Chicken genetics seem so much fun, and that was one of my top favorite subjects in undergrad!

Anyway, thanks a lot for being a great source of information, and I look forward to getting to know y'all! [​IMG]

Edit: Forgot to add on a picture of my eggs for the past few days! No greenies yet unfortunately, but I'm so glad everyone is getting back into laying after the winter break.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under AerieChickens [​IMG] Welcome!

Wow [​IMG] great introduction and wonderful pictures .. thank you!

Best wishes to you and your flock!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thank you for the great introduction, loved the photos! What a pretty egg basket you have too.

If you'd like to chat with other members from NC, just put your state name in the search box and you'll find your state thread.

It's nice to have you here!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS since you've infected your family with chicken fever, you DO know they will be carriers for life.[​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard - love your passion! And that is one fine looking flock and egg basket - love the variety. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! You have some beautiful birds!

9. AerieChickens

AerieChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2017
    North Carolina
    Thanks so much for the warm introduction! I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, as I write this, Maizy is passing away. I had to isolate her from the main flock a few days ago, and when I came home from work today about half an hour ago, she was already passing. I brought her inside to at least be warm and comfortable while she goes, and she seems to be peaceful. Nods off every now and then, wakes for a few seconds, then nods back off. She doesn't appear to be in any pain otherwise I might help her along to ease her suffering. I think she'll go in her sleep tonight.

[​IMG]

10. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Welcome to BYC, @AerieChickens !
    I'm so sorry for you and Maizy... How is she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by