I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

Pics
So far, I'm thinking this design for the tractor. Not exact of course, but the material/shape is kinda what I'm thinking.
View attachment 2673189
The nesting boxes in the back will be a walled off hutch, which will hopefully have a hinging and locking top, so I can open it from the top to replace bedding. They will be litter trained though, so that'll be a dream. I'll also copy Omlets skirt they use on the outside of the run. That would help deter digging predators.
Please give suggestions on how to make this idea better. This is just what pops into my head for simple. Thanks for all the help so far, I have learned so much already, and am so excited to start this project. With a little convincing and a plan, I think I got this. :D
Also put wire in the bottom so they can't dig through the bottom of the hutch

I guess an important question is were to get them. I'm not really picky on breed, what breeds do you think will work best with this setup/climate? If I decide to breed, I'll add some valuable breeds for breeding stock, but for just getting started I'm not to picky.
Then once I choose a breed, were do I get them?
You have a good climate for just about any breed. The farm and garden section of Craig's List is an option. There is an online forum very similar to BYC called Rabbit Talk. I haven't been on there in a couple years, but there used to be several Washington folks. I don't do Facebook, but I image there are groups for rabbit people.

You have a good climate for just about any breed. The farm and garden section of Craig's List is an option. There is an online forum very similar to BYC called Rabbit Talk. I haven't been on there in a couple years, but there used to be several Washington folks. I don't do Facebook, but I image there are groups for rabbit people.
I'll look on Craigslist, good idea. Thanks! I'll start figuring everything out, and get it ready for launch to my dad lol! Thanks so much guys! I'll keep you posted!

So far, the biggest hangup is the reason for wanting rabbits. Everything else is fine, but "why do you want rabbits" is the only question I don't have a good enough answer to.
Why? Their absolutely adorable, and I think they'll be a fun addition to the "farm". I'm gonna have to come up with a better reason. 😅
I meant we only have, Chickens, Ducks, Horses, two dogs, three cats, and fish. I just don't understand his hesitation for more animals. It doesn't make any sense at all. 🤔😂

So far, the biggest hangup is the reason for wanting rabbits. Everything else is fine, but "why do you want rabbits" is the only question I don't have a good enough answer to.
Why? Their absolutely adorable, and I think they'll be a fun addition to the "farm". I'm gonna have to come up with a better reason. 😅
I meant we only have, Chickens, Ducks, Horses, two dogs, three cats, and fish. I just don't understand his hesitation for more animals. It doesn't make any sense at all. 🤔😂
Lol don’t worry 😂 I have a lot of animals too. Two horses, three dogs, four chickens, and four rabbits and my dad is also hesitant when we get more animals. For me, my dad wants an animal to have purpose and he’s more motivated to get them when I tell them they can have a purpose as well.

If my dad were to ask me why do you want rabbits? I would say they can serve a purpose for us. They give us good compost for the garden and can eat down weeds for us. We can also breed them and be able to sell their babies and that money can be used for important things. They also make for great therapy pets 😊 and I’ll learn lots of responsibility and care for them. I’ll make sure I do all the work for them and you don’t need to worry about it.

That’s what I’d personally say. My dad likes to hear that the animal has purpose and that I will take care of the animal and he won’t have to. Hope this helps!

Lol don’t worry 😂 I have a lot of animals too. Two horses, three dogs, four chickens, and four rabbits and my dad is also hesitant when we get more animals. For me, my dad wants an animal to have purpose and he’s more motivated to get them when I tell them they can have a purpose as well.

If my dad were to ask me why do you want rabbits? I would say they can serve a purpose for us. They give us good compost for the garden and can eat down weeds for us. We can also breed them and be able to sell their babies and that money can be used for important things. They also make for great therapy pets 😊 and I’ll learn lots of responsibility and care for them. I’ll make sure I do all the work for them and you don’t need to worry about it.

That’s what I’d personally say. My dad likes to hear that the animal has purpose and that I will take care of the animal and he won’t have to. Hope this helps!
Thanks! My dads the same to. He didn't say no, just not convinced lol!
Crossing my fingers! :fl

I would also say we can raise them for meat and sell their hides. Our you can get lionmane rabbits they have wooly coats so you could sell there wool but it depends on what breed you want. Like mine is gonna be a breeder doe so I can raise meat rabbits from her. I'm planning on catching a wild cotton tail buck breeding my new zeland to him and then turning him back loose. I wonder what the babies would look like hmmm🤔

you can get lionmane rabbits they have wooly coats so you could sell there wool
If you want to sell wool, you should get angoras that have long wool all over their bodies, not lionheads that have it mostly around the head.

mine is gonna be a breeder doe so I can raise meat rabbits from her. I'm planning on catching a wild cotton tail buck breeding my new zeland to him and then turning him back loose. I wonder what the babies would look like hmmm🤔
Depending on where you live, that may not work. Wild cottontail rabbits in the USA are a different species than domesticated rabbits, and do not produce bunnies with them.

In Europe, at least some of the wild rabbits are the same species as domestic rabbits. And in Australia, the "wild" rabbits are descended from some rabbits that a person released, so they are also the same species as domestic rabbits. People have released domestic rabbits in some places in the US too, so it would be possible to cross a domestic rabbit to those.

Lol srry its been awhile about my breeds of bunnies. But I'm gonna at least try the cotton tail with my doe probably next yr cause she'll be 6 mths old in August

Back
Top Bottom