I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

Pics
If I was you I would get one lol if its ok with your hubby lol
Lol seriously tempted, but got enough on my hands without wondering what the goats gonna eat or get into or what the kids are gonna feed it.

Attachments

• 20210517_140407.jpg
    20210517_140407.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 8
Hey everyone! Its been quite a while since I last posted on this thread, long overdue for an update.
Long story short, when I asked my parents several months ago, the answer was a hard no. Though the universe works in mysterious ways....
Today a friend of ours posted a picture of a loose rabbit who has been hanging around her property for 5 days. He's not terrified of people, but not trusting. She was able to get a picture from a fairly close distance. He's white, and much chubbier than a regular will rabbit, definitely looks domestic. So about 30 minuets ago, we ran down and placed a live trap full of veggies, carrot ends, etc. 😁
What do I need? I have a small cage I can use for temporary, we have a local hay for our horses, and Timothy pellets as well. Will this work to sustain him until I can get a proper diet? I can also supplement with fruits van veggies, but I think he will really need water. I'll keep you updated! She saw him this morning and has saw him in the mornings for the past few days. Hopefully I'll have a rabbit by tomorrow!
@HorsesRMe123 @NatJ @MissE

Hey everyone! Its been quite a while since I last posted on this thread, long overdue for an update.
Long story short, when I asked my parents several months ago, the answer was a hard no. Though the universe works in mysterious ways....
Today a friend of ours posted a picture of a loose rabbit who has been hanging around her property for 5 days. He's not terrified of people, but not trusting. She was able to get a picture from a fairly close distance. He's white, and much chubbier than a regular will rabbit, definitely looks domestic. So about 30 minuets ago, we ran down and placed a live trap full of veggies, carrot ends, etc. 😁
What do I need? I have a small cage I can use for temporary, we have a local hay for our horses, and Timothy pellets as well. Will this work to sustain him until I can get a proper diet? I can also supplement with fruits van veggies, but I think he will really need water. I'll keep you updated! She saw him this morning and has saw him in the mornings for the past few days. Hopefully I'll have a rabbit by tomorrow!
@HorsesRMe123 @NatJ @MissE
Good luck catching him!

Be sure to check live traps often, you don't want a predator getting to him while he's in there.

What you have should work for now. Just get a large dog water dish, he's likely dehydrated.

I've only skimmed through this thread before, and im sure you already know most of this, but I'll just give you the basics you'll need for him.

I highly recommend using a wire dog playpen for an enclosure rather than a cage or hutch. Cages and hutches are much too small, and don't provide enough space for all a rabbits needs. Not to mention how expensive they can be compared to playpens, and the cheap quality.

A playpen will be able to provide space for a proper sized litter box, hidey houses, food and water dishes, and toys while still leaving room for exercise and play.

I would also put a bunny proof rug in there for some traction. Just be sure you can't pull it apart easily, or the rabbit definitely will.

A large cat sized litter box will work well. Avoid cat litter since it has clay (which would be fatal in ingested), paper based or pelleted litter works much better. Place it in the corner of the pen, and he'll likely catch on quickly. Clean any pee outside of the box with deodorizing cleaning spray, and put poop in the box.

You'll also need some hidey houses so he feels safe, especially in a new environment. Rabbits, being prey animals, need safe spots where they can relax and sleep.
Cardboard boxes work well, and are practically free. Rabbits like to have to two entrances, so cut out more than one.

Along with that, be sure he has plenty of toys. Rabbits teeth are constantly growing, so providing something to keep those teeth down and keep your rabbit mentally stimulatated will keep him from chewing on your things. I've made lots of DIY toys out cardboard, pape bags, and cardbkard rolls and tubes. Add hay for extra enrichment.

High quality hay is also important for keeping rabbit teeth down, and are a crucial part of a rabbits diet. Be sure he have unlimited access 24/7.

Some high quality Timothy pellets should be given as well, around ¼ for a 4 pound rabbit (less if he's smaller, but no more if he's larger since pellets are really just a filler).

I recommend using a water bowl over a bottle, since bottles are hard to clean, don't let out enough water, and are unnatural (they can cause spinal issues). Rabbits drink as much as a large dog, so plenty of fresh water is important.

A comb to help him out during shed would be good too. You don't want him ingesting hair and going into GI stasis.

When you first get him home, give him some time to settle down. He'll likely be very scared in a new environment, with new people, and all new smells. As hard as it is, try not to pet or hold him for the first few days. Extra stress can sometimes cause a rabbit to stop eating, which is the last thing you want.

Wishing the best for you and the rabbit, I hope it all works out well! And feel free to ask me anything else, I'd be glad to help out.

Good luck catching him!

Be sure to check live traps often, you don't want a predator getting to him while he's in there.

What you have should work for now. Just get a large dog water dish, he's likely dehydrated.

I've only skimmed through this thread before, and im sure you already know most of this, but I'll just give you the basics you'll need for him.

I highly recommend using a wire dog playpen for an enclosure rather than a cage or hutch. Cages and hutches are much too small, and don't provide enough space for all a rabbits needs. Not to mention how expensive they can be compared to playpens, and the cheap quality.

A playpen will be able to provide space for a proper sized litter box, hidey houses, food and water dishes, and toys while still leaving room for exercise and play.

I would also put a bunny proof rug in there for some traction. Just be sure you can't pull it apart easily, or the rabbit definitely will.

A large cat sized litter box will work well. Avoid cat litter since it has clay (which would be fatal in ingested), paper based or pelleted litter works much better. Place it in the corner of the pen, and he'll likely catch on quickly. Clean any pee outside of the box with deodorizing cleaning spray, and put poop in the box.

You'll also need some hidey houses so he feels safe, especially in a new environment. Rabbits, being prey animals, need safe spots where they can relax and sleep.
Cardboard boxes work well, and are practically free. Rabbits like to have to two entrances, so cut out more than one.

Along with that, be sure he has plenty of toys. Rabbits teeth are constantly growing, so providing something to keep those teeth down and keep your rabbit mentally stimulatated will keep him from chewing on your things. I've made lots of DIY toys out cardboard, pape bags, and cardbkard rolls and tubes. Add hay for extra enrichment.

High quality hay is also important for keeping rabbit teeth down, and are a crucial part of a rabbits diet. Be sure he have unlimited access 24/7.

Some high quality Timothy pellets should be given as well, around ¼ for a 4 pound rabbit (less if he's smaller, but no more if he's larger since pellets are really just a filler).

I recommend using a water bowl over a bottle, since bottles are hard to clean, don't let out enough water, and are unnatural (they can cause spinal issues). Rabbits drink as much as a large dog, so plenty of fresh water is important.

A comb to help him out during shed would be good too. You don't want him ingesting hair and going into GI stasis.

When you first get him home, give him some time to settle down. He'll likely be very scared in a new environment, with new people, and all new smells. As hard as it is, try not to pet or hold him for the first few days. Extra stress can sometimes cause a rabbit to stop eating, which is the last thing you want.

Wishing the best for you and the rabbit, I hope it all works out well! And feel free to ask me anything else, I'd be glad to help out.
Thank you so much! Thsi is such great info! I actually read about the play pen, water bottle, and litter box in a thread you commented when I started this thread, your info was very helpful and fascinating. I have a small dog kennel sized cage in the past for integrating chickens, so I will use that plus a temporary cardboard area for now.
Just got Awesome news! WE CAUGHT A BUNNY! Gonna run down and get her in a moment, I'm so excited! I'll update with pics! !!

Thank you so much! Thsi is such great info! I actually read about the play pen, water bottle, and litter box in a thread you commented when I started this thread, your info was very helpful and fascinating. I have a small dog kennel sized cage in the past for integrating chickens, so I will use that plus a temporary cardboard area for now.
Just got Awesome news! WE CAUGHT A BUNNY! Gonna run down and get her in a moment, I'm so excited! I'll update with pics! !!
No problem! I'm glad you find my posts useful.
A dog kennel should work great. @Kiki has two dog kennels setup as a hombase for her mini rex baby, Treble.

Can't wait to see him! Yall got him quick!

The very first night I got Treble there was an escape.
She squeezed through the holes in the dog cage and got out and hid... Thank God he didn't get into any trouble while he was put and about.

Make sure you block the bottom foot of the dog kennel so the rabbit cannot squeeze through.

I spent the wee hours of the morning zip time hardware cloth around the dog kennels.

Back
Top Bottom