I'm Kathy :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by farmkat55, May 26, 2016.

1. farmkat55

farmkat55 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    Hi...I haven't done a proper intro, but have already asked a duck question! So, here it is:

I'm married to a retired Marine and live on 17 acres. We have a son, also a retired Marine (medically) and a daughter. They each have one son so far, so we have an 18 yr old grandson that just graduated and a 2 yr old grandson that is a hoot! We have 2 Tennessee Walking Horses and will be breeding one this Spring. She was also born here and is 6, the other one is a 24 yr old mare. We also have one llama and 7 goats. We have a Great Pyrenees, a Toy Fox Terrier, a Chiweenie and a heeler mix. Also, 2 indoor kitties. Now we recently added 2 Pekin ducks that at one time first dipped into the water in a pie pan...together! But they are 7 wks old this Sat...so they are quite big! I had some ducks years and years ago, but for all intents and purposes...we are beginners with ducks! Planned on some chicks this Spring also, but have to finish the coop and yard first.

I may have lots of chicken questions, and others too, so I hope it's ok!

I'm sure this is more than anyone cared to know in my intro! Sorry!

2. YayChickies

YayChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Hi:welcome
    What chickens and ducks do you have?

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Sounds like you have a nice small farm with lots of cool animals. Under the Forum above, click on Miscellaneous and you will see threads that probably include everything you have.

Nice to have you join us.

4. farmkat55

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the welcome! We don't have any chicks yet...I was going to get some Buff Orps, but they never came in to Bomgaars. So I was looking at other options and decided to maybe wait till the coop is finished. Our ducks grew so fast and I'm not sure how fast the Buff Orpingtons will grow! But the ducks can't fly, so we had more time! LOL!

Our ducks are two Pekins and I am pretty sure, just by chance, that we got a boy and a girl!

5. YayChickies

YayChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Your gonna get little ducklings! Lucky! Pekin ducklings are so fluffy.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Kathy, nice to meet you. I would like to thank your husband and son for his time in service. [​IMG]

9. farmkat55

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    That's very nice to say about my Marines, Drumstick Diva! My son lost his right foot and leg right below his knee from stepping on an IED. He had only been in country for 1 month and took a week to get home stopping at military hospitals from Afghanistan to Germany to the U.S. He spent almost 2 yrs in San Diego in the hospital and then the Wounded Warrior Battalion before getting medically retired and coming home for good in 2012. First time he got a check as a retired Marine...I said it was weird to have both my husband with 24+ yrs and my son with 3 yrs getting mail from the VA as retirees!!
    I appreciate the sentiment and will pass it on to them!

Kathy

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I second Diva's sentiments. I feel very indebted to our brave service members. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by