1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm kinda upset about rescue centers.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, since im adopting my scovie hens Ive been looking at other adoption sites. There are so many great rescues with gorgeous birds to adopt - But every where i look at geese and ducks for adoption it has this one requirement -

The animal cant be free ranged or in an unfenced in area without an adult human chaperone supervising at all times. .

I free range my birds from 7 am till 4 :30 pm when i'm home for the day on weekends and from 3-5 on week days . I dont like having them in their pen all the time.... I would LOVE to adopt a goose or duck rather than buy them from breeders.

*sigh* Guess I'll have to wait ill I'm alot older and have a big pastured field that is fenced in and a barn for them at night.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh get a life, rescue centers! After all ducks can not be confined if there is a lovely pond to swim in! It is unrealistic type of requirement IMO!

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Some of the people that make the rules at those places just DON'T KNOW! lol. ducks need that free range time (IMO), it keeps them in better health & looking better.

i know it does wonders for my babies.

(i think rainplace helps out at a duck rescue, I can't be for sure though. she's up her ein WA, you should check with her.)

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well I mean I totally understand that they want to make sure that these animals who might have been abandoned or abused have a protected relaxed life and all, It just makes it harder for people who want to adopt to adopt. I was looking at majestic waterfowl sanctuary and they have some GORGEOUS geese for adoption. But they have the no free ranging requirement.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    For those who says no free ranging will not have much adoption unless they got the bloodlines or quality better than the ordinary backyard flock.

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, I'm just glad the the scovie hens ill be getting tommorrow are from a rescue that doesnt mind that I free range mine.

I will admit that I will be a little embarred though when they arrive. My hose was frozen so I havent been able to change the pool water lately. They still get a few tubs filled with fresh water everyday but the pools are frozen solid - not to mention frozen to the ground so I can even knock the ice out.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I would never let my birds roam an unfenced area. They get to "free range" in my yard. [​IMG]

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My ducks never go into my front yard, they prefer to stay in the back field next to the barn, right in front of the barn between my fenced in backyard and my driveway, and the side ontop of the hill. Only the youngsters ever go out to play in the ditch that surrounds my yard. Ive never had any hawk or predator problems - the neighbors dog being the exception. But they only get out of their invisible fence when it is storming really bad and the weather messes with the battery on their collars.

My ducks are fat and happy, and always cause a fuss in the mornging to be let out to forage. Heck, My scovie drake even tried to climb the gate once or twice when he thought i was taking too long moving the barricade i place in front of the fence. FUnniest thing ever. But I love how when i let them out they all take off about 30 - 50 feet for a little stretch of the wings.

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I think one of the reasons that they have that particular rule is: they don't want the duck/goose to escape and end up right back into the same situation it was rescued from. Domestic ducks and geese that have been released into park ponds, etc. live a difficult life if they survive. These animals are human fed alot of bread, crackers, etc. that is not healthy. Then they trust humans and not all humans are friendly to them. They are chased by children and dogs, shot at by teens, and alot of other cruelties. Many starve to death, many suffer slowly after being injured. I could go on all day about it after researching this subject. These are the reasons there are rescue facilities in the first place. Thank God for them.
    I know you would love to have a goose Goat_Walker and we all know you would be a responsible owner but.....many folks aren't. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in regarding my opinion of these facilites. They have their rules but they have them for good reasons for the sake of the animals.
    In going to the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue (it's a GREAT place) those volunteers work their buns off for those birds. And there are soooo many in there. It breaks my heart to hear some of their stories of why they are in there. I would take more home if I had more space. But they seem happy and are so well taken care of. Jennifer is such a great foster mom for them til they get adopted....
    Peace.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Ditto here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by