I'm late to the party

Craftycindy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Hello I'm Cindy my hubby raised chickens for years I tried not to get attached but this last flock that I actually order and picked up is more appealing to me. So I just started the path of of being attached to chickens now I want them to like me and not run away from me. were do I start, they just started to lay eggs I picked them up in April I believe of course I got some longhorn I must have white eggs buffs they are suppose to be friendly and a barred rock nobody wanted. We have older chickens but of course we lose them over time so we add young every spring. I think I'm going to learn a lot from BYC. I learned learned this week about feeding treats we have a Hugh garden so I never thought about giving them actual treats. They loved the warmed cooked oatmeal which is my avatar picture. thanks in advanced for your help.

Welcome to BYC!!! Start out with lots of treats. Then only give treats by hand. THEN only give treats when petting them and slowly you'll start being able to pet and hold them with no problem.
My chickens always come running when I kneel down because they know they get lots of treats and petting.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Be careful in how many treats you give them. Treats should compose less than 10 % of their total diet as too many treats will make the fat and unhealthy and cause their lay rate to drop off. Commercial feeds are specially formulated to meet their nutritional needs. Feeding them too many treats is the equivalent of us eating potato chips and candy bars. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with our flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Cute avatar!

I completely agree with lightchick. Follow her advice and your chickens will be tamer. But like Michael said, what how many treats you feed.
Also, cuddle them and just show them you care.

Chickens are so easy to get attached to!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Leghorns can be a bit skittish. But the Barred Rock should tame up nicely. Yes, you do need to be careful with the treats, however taming up a bird works well with treats. Go sit with them on the ground in the run and bring some goodies. Sprinkle them around you and hold them in your hand. Sit quietly every day for a few weeks for about 20 mins a day. Food is a wonderful bonding agent and will bring trust. Don't try to pick them up. Most chickens, even the most friendly of bird, does not like to be picked up. It just scares them. Move slowly around them, talk quietly, sit with them often and eventually they will quiet down. Again Leghorns can be a bit stand offish, but the Barred Rock should really tame up. They can make some great lap warmers! So give them time.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

Back
Top Bottom