I'm Lazy - Low maintenance ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by steinway, Nov 3, 2011.

1. steinway

steinway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    This is a newbie topic that might even have some interest to the experienced members here as well. I am not getting my hens until spring, right now I am reading this site and getting lots of ideas on "what to do" and "what NOT to do". I have a dirt floor horse stall in an enclosed building I am using for the coop and will be building a run outside. I am lazy and want to spend as little time as possible cleaning poop, looking for eggs, watering, feeding, etc. I can take the best ideas and build that in from the start rather than learning the hard way.

Some ideas I have already picked up and am planning on using include:

1. Using DLM (deep litter method)
    2. Have a slanted roof over the nesting areas to keep that area clean
    3. Have an way to get the eggs out without entering the coop
    4. Automatic door

Other areas I am hoping to hear ideas on:

1. Something about removable poop shelves (not sure I understand that one).
    2. Watering made simple (I saw a rain barrel post with attached piping that look real interesting)
    3. Best ways to feed that are not labor intensive
    4. Best materials to put in nesting areas that do not have to be replaced as often
    5. Also, ideas for the run as well as the coop

If you were starting from scratch what would you do to save yourself some time? OR What would you change about your current set up.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Quote:Good luck..........

3. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I HATE my nesting boxes. They are a huge pain to clean because each nest you have to take the bottom out seperatly and you get poop all over you when you clean them! I don't know what to do different, just know that I hate mine!

I also would like to get a light on a timer for my coop.

I have got a different feeder, just havn't had time to put a bottom on it yet, so IDK how well it will work...but for feeding- I got a pig creep feeder; I'll try and find a pic because I don't know how to describe it, but it will hold alot of feed if it works, and it is water proof so it could go outside.

I'm not sure what the post about the rain barrel looked like, but my chickens have a kiddie pool. the drain spout goes into it, so I never have to fill it, just clean it out once in awhile. I'll try to find a pic of the pig feeder and post it later.

4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    3. Best ways to feed that are not labor intensive

Check out a treadle feeder like the one in my sig below. It wasn't that hard to make, and I fill it with about 20kg of feed and it lasts ages and stays bug and rodent free.​

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Looks like your off to a good start with your reading and research. I did a lot of both before starting out and I still have changed things and tweaked things. I have extended my coop twice now, added to my flock. I am by no means an expert but can tell you what I have done from my experience that works for me. You can build the nest boxes on the outside of the coop to gather eggs without going into the coop. The poop board is one of the best inventions ever. Some people use resturant trays/hospital trays, newspaper, wooden boards with linoleum glued on top, dish pans etc. They are placed under the roosts to catch the poop. Makes it easy and fast to clean helps with the smell and keeps the coop cleaner. It's amazing how much they can poop at night. An automatic pop door would be great. I would love to have one but have no electricity to the coop except for an extension cord if needed. I use pine shavings in the coop (deep litter method) and nesting boxes. Works for me. A lot of people use sand, hay, leaves. I think thats a personal preference. I also use Diatomacous Earth (spelling?) to help keep odor, suppose to help with lice/mites. Some people use hydrated lime. Some people don't use anything. Personal preference here too. A covered run is a good idea. Keeps them safe from predators. You should get some great ideas from others as well. Good luck, have fun and [​IMG]

6. steinway

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:Do you need poop boards AND DLM? Seems like the DLM would solve that problem.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like you have a lot of labour ahead of you for the coop alone! [​IMG]

8. steinway

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:Check out a treadle feeder like the one in my sig below. It wasn't that hard to make, and I fill it with about 20kg of feed and it lasts ages and stays bug and rodent free.

Your treadle feeder looks interesting. Thank you

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I use the same littler in my nest boxes as I do in the rest of the coop -- wood shavings.

(You don't even want to know the trouble I go through to feed these crazy spoiled hens -- it is a lazy man's nightmare. )

Good topic -- thanks,
    Jenny

10. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Check out a treadle feeder like the one in my sig below. It wasn't that hard to make, and I fill it with about 20kg of feed and it lasts ages and stays bug and rodent free.

I saw a sheet-metal feeder (same concept) for sale a while back. It seemed straightforward enough, but I can't get out of my head the possibility of a curious chook sticking her head in from the side without stepping on the pedal and getting guillotined. I guess it's probably not that likely a scenario but I don't know... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by