I'm leaving town on day #14 and won't be back til day #18 (coturnix)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QChickieMama, Oct 12, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Sooooo, what should I tell my 11yo about the hatching/moving to brooder process?

I have the brooder all set up right next to the incubator. Thick layer of pine shavings on the bottom, waterer w/marbles, halogen light on top, regular feed ready. We're measuring the temp in the brooder right now to see if it gets to 100*. Is that right? This is my first hatch batch.

Will they hatch within a day? Within an hour? Not sure how to prepare.

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:Coturnix hatch at 18 days

so when you come back your eggs may start hatching

chicks need to be dry before they are transfer to the brooder about 24 hours

make sure your heat lamp is secured.

the only thing you can do is stop turning and increase the humidity

a still air incubator will retain humidity for more time than the one with fan

fill the bottom of your incubator with paper towels under the wire

paper towel will help retaining humidity

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks, JM93030, for the tips. Very helpful!

I'm home now, and they didn't hatch while I was away! I'm thrilled I didn't miss all the fun, but now I'm wondering if there really are some good eggs in the batch. My attempt at candling was a fail. I do smell at least one bad egg in there. No way to tell which one at this point. But, the good news? My daughters said they saw three of them wiggle earlier today. I've upped the humidity and peered through the window for forever. Going to bed now, but really hoping to watch the process tomorrow. Don'tcha think they'll come on day #19?

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Most of the time my coturnix started on day 17 .

I had couple of hatches were some chicks hatched until day 23

be patiente

do a water test before you give up

5. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    They waited for me!!! So happy to know they listen. Ha.

I had 4 come on day #19 and one today, day #20. Thinking I'll toss the rest of the eggs out tomorrow afternoon. Did water test on all but 1 that's cracked a teeny bit. They floated low-ish enough, but who knows?

Do you think getting 5 out of 24 is a decent start? How can I improve that ratio next time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by