I'm Like the cartoon character Elmyra!

dsquawker

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 1, 2011
Bluegrass State
Hi everyone. I'm so excited to have found BYC and the forum. I had my first experience with owning my own chickens back in 2008 when we lived in NC. We had a small flock of 16. They all got captured and eaten by a fox except two - my Japanese Rosecomb pair. They flew high and since they were so agile could escape. The rooster fought off a hawk that wanted him for dinner. Amazing pair. The hen had just started to lay eggs when we moved. We decided to sell them and try again later. Now its 2011 and I have an even smaller flock of nine hens. They are in a really nice coop now and very much protected from all the predators up here the High Rockies of Woodland Park, Colorado. I am loving my chickens even more than the last because they are bigger and none are bantams. Plus they are all getting along and I got them all from three different places and people. This is what we have:

2 Rhode Island Reds (one foot turned black and fell off so her name is stumpy)
1 White Leghorn
2 Black stars (sex-linked)
1 Welsummer
1 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
1 Blue Splashed Copper Maran
1 Wheaten Maran

I eventually want to have a larger flock with a variety of Wyandottes, Sussexes, Orpingtons, etc. I love learning about all the rare and cool looking breeds. I'm not so much into the game birds but they are the most beautiful - like my Welsummer. I am like Elmyra because I want to hug them, and kiss them, and squeeze them. I'm neurotic about taking care of them like taking care of my two working line German Shepherd Dogs. They are both sable and we breed them. But, anyway, I found BYC on the internet searching and researching breeds of chickens that I may want it the future. I love this forum because it is just like the German Shepherd Pedigree Database where I can meet other GSD enthusiasts. Just like the BYC I can see tons of photos and learn as much as I can about my chickens, other people's chickens and my future flock. We also want to get in to raising Merriam Turkeys because they are indigenous to this area and they are beautiful. We had some gobbling in our mountain neighborhood just yesterday. Also, couldn't believe it, I found a site that sells them for $25 a poult. Also found that Chocolate Orpington Bantam chickens were $125 a pop! Whoa. There's so much to learn and I'm ready for it.

312716_264624853570567_100000691645656_869154_83204459_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Laceynoelle you have a lot of experience on this forum and you're chicken obsessed! I can't wait until I'm there too. I'm sure it will be shortly since its so addicting being on this forum and reading and reading and reading. Ha. Lol. Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to my learning. I will have lots of fun I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom