Im looking for a duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 19761, Dec 13, 2008.

1. 19761

19761 New Egg

Dec 13, 2008
    Illinois
    My backyard isn't that large (about 5 by 20) and i live in chicago illinois. I'm new to ducks and was wondering what breed would be best for me.
    If there is a breed that can live in my conditions. Can somebody please help? Thank you much!

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Moscovies ( sp? ) Defiantly .

They are quite, so you dont have to worry about your neighbors getting upset, as well as dont really swim , so no need for a large pool for them ( they get water logged easily) as well as they are quite friendly as adults, not just while young. They dont become anti social with age like other ducks.

Plus they have those big gorgeous tails that they like to wag , so they look like cute little pups.. well to me anyway [​IMG]

3. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Yes i recommens muscovies too. I just love them. But make sure if you do to get their wings pinioned or cut every so often

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    motherducker,

I just recently moved to Al. from Chicago about 5 months ago... Beforwarned....

Ducks are ILLEGAL even in small numbers in the entire city of chicago... They also also illegal in the vast majority of the suburbs (i know tinley park/ orland/ palos is far enough out and they do allow it.)

I also know from personal experience that the cops/neighbors are ruthless about ducks as pets. If any offical city worker sees them, like meter readers, utility or cable people etc. sees them they will call the police and they will take away your ducks. I lived in Bridgeview (near Oaklawn) and almost had my duckies taken away... Luckily i got them about a week before i moved to alabama and they let me slide since i was leaving.

you can try to keep them descretly, but remember there's always a chance they can get taken away.

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Well, at least with Muscovy, since they dont quack, no one will complain about the noise. Muscovy are great ducks. full of personality.

Chel

6. 19761

19761 New Egg

Dec 13, 2008
    Illinois
    Nettie

I live in des plaines right by mt. prospect and elk grove city. Do you think that we are far enough out? thank you

7. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Muscovies aren't completely mute.
    The drakes have a breathy he-haw sound and
    the ducks chortle and will quack if they are fighting.
    Even if you have stockade fencing eventually they will be heard or smelled.
    Also ducks are messy and poop ALOT!
    If you have a small yard it will quicky turn into a smelly, wet mess.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    mother ducker,

Are you in cook county? If so, then they are ilegal. I've read through the vast majority of the municiple codes for cook county. The code about animals pretty much says:
    (17) To have more than three adult companion animals living at any one individual residential unit. The term companion animal shall include domestic dogs, domestic cats, and ferrets. For purposes of this article, an animal shall be considered an adult when it reaches four months of age.

They consider all poultry to be Vectors. A vector is an animal capable of carrying disease producing organisms to a human host.

Pretty much, ducks/chickens are not allowed in residential homes/properties because they can "spread" disease. They are allowed on farms (obviously) which believe have some commercial aspect to them.

It's really long and annoying, and i checked in with a friend of mine who is a cook country cop. If you are in cook county, be very warry!

9. 19761

19761 New Egg

Dec 13, 2008
    Illinois
    thanks nettie. i never knew they were illegal. i thought officers just didnt like you having them. thanks for all your help.[​IMG]

10. 19761

19761 New Egg

Dec 13, 2008
    Illinois
    are you allowed to hatch eggs and then sell them to legal areas? because my friend has an incubator and it would be fun to atleast hatch the eggs. thanks again for your help nettie.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by