1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm looking for an australorp breeder

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by DanEP, Dec 24, 2010.

1. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Does any one know of an australorp breeder? I would like to hatch some eggs in the spring and thought I should start looking for a source now.
    If I have to I can always get some from a hatchery but would much rather support a breeder and hopefully get better stock as well. I don't really need or want sq birds but just want decent quality birds. If nobody knows of a breeder does any one know which hatchery has the best birds. While egg production is important to me temperment is right up there to as I just culled a bo roo that wouldn't stop attaching the mil. I understand that any roo can be a crap shoot but it seems like hatchery's don't seem to worried about temperment just egg production. This being the case i"ll take my chances with a breeder that has to live with the birds as well.

thanks for any help Dan

WISHING YOU AND YOURS A MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would love to help you but they are like needle in the haystack finding these Aussies!

I love my Aussies I had, they were wonderful layers.....from Cackle. Big birds and very refined.

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Thanks ewesheep I have bo's from cackle now and some are some are nice and fluffy like buffs should be some not so much, but nice birds otherwise still laying well and friendly OK hungry, always think I have boss in my pocket. I really don't care if their sq just want nice birds

I have family that live in Decatur. I lived their for a couple of years when i was a kid back in the 50's . DANG THAT MAKES ME FEEL OLD!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by