I'm looking into getting some geese. Need advice!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Chikn-Chik, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    I am thinking about getting some african and white chinese. I fell in love with them when I saw pictures of them! Does anyone have these breeds? What are their personalities like? I live next to a highway, well this be a problem? I have a muscovy duck that doesn't get in the road. I do have a pond, but it is shared by a duck, horse, goat and cow. Coyotes are a problem where I live. [​IMG] Will the geese fly away? Where is the best place to buy them, hatcheries seem to expensive.
    I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go and buy some, I want to make sure its the right thing to do. [​IMG] I don't want to make their lives miserable!
    Any advice is welcomed! Thanks!

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:I just got some White Chinese. I have Sebastopols, Brown Chinese, & Roman Tufted. My geese stay out of the road, so do my ducks, its my guineas who go in the darn road, the dummies! LOL

We have coyotes here were I am too. (I'm in Church Hill, TN) We have a Great Pyrenees and she takes care of most predator problems. I would also suggest you build housing and put them away at night.

You can purchase geese from a hatchery, you can purchase them from breeders or you can purchase eggs and incubate them. Domestic geese can't fly, they're too heavy. They may get a couple of inches with a running start, up to a foot but there's no way for them to fly away. That's why they're so helpless to predators. There are many of us that have geese and love them!

My geese have enriched my life so much and they're so happy to see us! They come running with wings open, honking. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it!!

Good luck!!

Laurie

3. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    Thank you very much for the advice TennesseeTruly!! I found someone that has some and he said, if you can catch them you can have them! So exciting, planning on going there this evening to catch me some.

I have a barn that I'm going to keep them in for a couple weeks, and it will be their nightly shut in also.

I had guineas a few years ago that we let lose, the road was their hang out place lol and one even roosted on top of the house! Silly things! They all got ran over sadly, but I now have 8 sub-adult guineas. I'm planning on keeping these up so they don't get killed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by