1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm looking to get Quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GoggleHat, Mar 12, 2016.

1. GoggleHat

GoggleHat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    I live in central Massachusetts and I have been looking into raising quail for taming and harvesting eggs. I'm generally new to this hobby, though I have done a decent amount of research. I plan to get 7 eggs to hatch (via incubator, of course) and a 36x20x10h for the chicks. I intend to build a full coop for them, so that cage would be just for the meantime. I know to keep them above ground so the droppings fall out of their home, I know to get special water bottles for them so they don't drown, and of course to keep the adult males separate. Does anyone have any tips or information that could help me care for them in my climate? I don't know what to do for them in the winter time, and I do live in a forest area with predators. I also don't intend to kill them for meat, so I'd need to know what to do once they get too old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    That size cage can be used to raise 7 in for raising chicks id use a rubbermaid tote makes things simple. As far as your climate the coturnix have a pretty dense down undercoat that keeps them warm but even i gave them a red 250 watt heat lamp just to make me feel better. Always close off any cage sides that get the worse north wind. I just used plywood cut to size and tacked it up during winter but i live in south alabama also. As far as predators go a good solid 1/2 hardware cloth will keep anything out i dunno if you have bears if so id invest in a decent fence charger maybe a zareba brand 50 mile its gotta pop to it. When they get to old all i can suggest is killing and eating them if you let em loose they wont know what to do and will either starve to death or become cat crap pretty quick.

3. cmobley

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    Oh yeah make sure you make em a sand bath. I used 1x2 sides and 1/2 inch plywood big enough for em all to get in gives their feet a wire break and they love especially when they find mealworm treats to scratch up.

4. GoggleHat

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay, thank you. Also, what type of surface should I use for a brooder so the chicks won't eat their own feces? And should I make sure the temperature for the brooder is always warm or can I turn off any heaters at night?

5. GoggleHat

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay, thank you. Also, what type of surface should I use for a brooder so the chicks won't eat their own feces? And should I make sure the temperature for the brooder is always warm or can I turn off any heaters at night?

6. tom8301

tom8301 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    Boston suburbs
    36x20 brooder is too big for 7 quail chicks, it can fit 7 adults quail easily. Wire floor is much easy to clean. The temp in the brooder should be 95-98 degrees for chicks <7 days and decrees 5 degrees for each week of growth. The quail chicks will die if you turn off heater during night, they could live in room temp after 4 week. I also live in Massachusetts, I put my quail in my garage, it might be too hard for the quail live outside during the winter.

7. cmobley

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    I use pads in my brooder no chips no wire it just makes a mess. After 4 weeks they go on wire i leave my heat light on them 3 weeks the 4th week no light then they go out no problems works like a charm. That way you dont have to guess about how to move your light to keep decreasing temp.

8. cmobley

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    I have 37 right now[​IMG]

9. GoggleHat

Mar 12, 2016
    So you only use a blanket or something for the bottom? How do you ensure they won't eat their droppings?

10. GoggleHat

Mar 12, 2016
    Oh, and what incubators would work best? And if it's not too much, could anyone give me their step-by-step on the incubation and hatching process? It'd be a great help. I'm now looking into getting 12 Bobwhite Quail eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by