I'm losing my 12 week old pullet. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by libbyhan, Aug 27, 2010.

1. libbyhan

libbyhan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    This started just a week ago- sneezing and open mouth breathing. She's a tiny bantam. I took her to my vet (he doesn't treat chickens, but consulted with an avain vet) and we got her on tylan for 3 days and baytril for 5. She's got 2 days of baytril left- she's done with the tylan.

Vet said her lungs sounded wheezy and dry. Her sneezing has gotten worse, better and worse again. She's making a squeaking noise with her sneeze. She seemed better yesterday afternoon. This am, she's worse.

I've put a call into the vet, but he's already said that this just may not work and we might lose the chicken. Her breathing is bad. I tried a steam treatment with no improvement.

Poor thing. She's eating OK (she ate some peach with yogurt on it last night and will still inhale corn on the cob), but not normally. She's roosting a lot with her eyes closed, fluffed out.

Anything that I should try? I hate the thought of culling this bird, but maybe that's the kindest thing to do?[​IMG]

2. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    How is your chicken doing?

I hope someone can answer for you!

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have Tylan powder and injectable. I have found the powder does not work fast at all and I use the injectable 2xs a day for up to 5 days. It has worked for me. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by