I'm losing my first girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tammye, Oct 5, 2011.

1. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    my sweet Scarlet is dying, but not quick enough. I am taking her to a vet tomorrow, sure hope he can handle tears. She has had a great life, she was my first hen to lay an egg, lots of personality ect..I will miss her, but can not watch her slow decline any longer. Much harder than I ever thought it would be. She is a two and a half years old BO, a very productive layer, a hugh egg everyday. But that is what I believe is killing her, swollen belly, no eggs, antibiotics helped but...then her crop got impacted, she is a fighter, won't quit, but she is weak, thin, pale comb, flopped over, can't lay down the last two days, she sleeps standing up. This stinks!! tomorrow she will get a day of sunshine and any thing she wants to eat, then to then vet. I hope it goes smoothly, I can not do it my self. wish us luck.

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Awwwww. [​IMG]

3. awwwwww I am so sorry for you. That stinks royal. You are doing the right thing to get her to the vet. maybe there is some remote chance they can do something tohelp her. If not, at least she had a wonderful life with you.

I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    this is so sad, im so sorry [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm very sorry. [​IMG] It really hurts us to see our babies like that.

6. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    So sorry [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You are not alone. I can euthanize some, but my older girls, well, I'd be heading to the vet. There are thousands of people here that feel your pain.
    [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm so sorry....good on you for making the deicision, though, rather than prolonging her issue. [​IMG]

9. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I'm so sorry. I lost my first one ever, a couple weeks ago. She was my favorite layer, a little 2-1/2 year EE who always hung next to me for protection and for her own special treats. I bawled my eyes out. It was really sudden and she went downhill fast, similar to yours. I had to end her life, in my living room at midnight, because I just didn't want her to suffer any more. The whole time I did it, I kept telling her I loved her. It was so hard.

[​IMG]

10. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i'm sry:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by