I'm Losing My Mind...aka The Joys of Chicken Ownership. Also, HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsAuberry00, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MrsAuberry00

MrsAuberry00 Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My Coop
    Some of you may be familiar with my seemingly endless threads asking for sexing and breed assistance... some of you may not, but trust me, they're there. I thought having a small flock of chickens would be a fun, relaxing venture and smiled at images of myself serenely collecting eggs and scattering scratch as fluffy, definitely female chickens scratched and pecked all around me.
    Cut to reality as I worry about bumblefoot, heat stroke, lice, mites, wormy poop, pale yellow yolks, cockerel or pullet, who's pooping water, I think this egg is fertilized, why haven't I heard any crowing, why does it keep laying down like that, and what the hell keeps moving the bricks away from the pen every night?!

I need serious help, possibly from a professional source. Anyway, here I am again asking for advice, preferably advice that doesn't contradict in thirteen different ways, (but we can't always get what we want, or I'd have six definitely female chickens in my coop and about three less things to worry about.) I posted in a different thread, found here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bulls-eye-or-nah.1181400/#post-18630934, about having an egg I thought was fertilized. (I also posted it to the Facebook BYC group.) Today, I had another egg that appeared fertilized and had a few red spots in it so with my trademark regularity, I posted about THAT one in the FBBYC group as well. Photo is attached, of course...why would I not?
    23 - Copy.jpg
    If fertilized, as the masses seem to agree that they are, I know I've definitely got a roo on my hands, and not the cute baby of Kanga from Winnie the Pooh, but an "I'm going to mount one of your hens in stealth so you don't see me do it and fertilize her eggs all while not crowing or giving you a definite indication of whether or not I'm definitely or definitely not a rooster" type of roo. You see what I'm dealing with here? But I digress and finally come to the point: since I don't know how old the stealth fertilizer is...this is him, (I think,)
    bsl2.jpg
    I have to ask what's the earliest age a roo can do his duty successfully and does anyone have any guesses about how old this little pecker is? (It's been 8 weeks and 1 day since we bought him, if that helps.) Also, I've watched it/him plop down and lay like he's exhausted while I haven't seen him doing anything to be exhausted about, (which strongly suggests it's a male. HA!) It eats, drinks, preens, everything like it always has, so I don't believe there's any medical reason for his ploppyness. And by "lay like he's exhausted," I don't mean he's on his side with his tongue hanging out, (do chickens have tongues? Great, more chicken related tidbits to ponder,) I just mean he lays down frequently, or at least more than the hens do, which also points to it being male. (HA! I kill myself.)
    Can anyone shed some light on this behavior and possibly give me suggestions on the best time to catch a roo "in the act"? OH, also, when should he start trying to crow? We've not heard any attempts, but our house is a slight distance from the coop, so we might not hear it. However, we spend a lot of time outside and have never heard any crowing attempts.

I honestly think he/it is trying to kill me psychologically. Help.

MamaChick73, MAchicken105 and aart like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Red spots in eggs doesn't mean it's fertilized, generally it's from a ruptured blood vessel or a bit of oviduct tissue.

My guess might be rooster on your bird, looks kinda like a black sex link rooster. How big was it when you got it? It should be too young to fertilize eggs yet. I believe you look for a circle around the germinal disk to tell if it's fertilized.

Chickens should be relaxing. Your chickens will be fine and healthy up until the day they are not, than generally there's not much you can do but ease their suffering. Remember that and it isn't so stressful.

To minimize problems keep them properly, provide plenty of room, crowding is a sure way to problems, feed a good ration, provide clean water, and enjoy, no chicken lives forever, but they live every day to the fullest.

3. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Songster

Feb 5, 2017
    Hello, I'm sorry to hear your having such a rough time of it!☹️. Most of us have been there at one point of another. Believe me, definitely been there! Lice you can treat by rubbing sevin or permethrin onto the skin on the vent, abodomen, and head. Wait three to four days and repeat. That should bring them back into control so the chickens can take care of them. You could try feeding them oyster shell for calcium to help with the eggs. Not sure about the behavior, are you unable to have Roos in your area? If you are able, I would wait till he starts exhibiting more rooster behaviors. You'll notice as he matures he will do a sideways dance for the hens, call them when he finds tasty morsels, and will eventually start mounting in public. I've noticed mine will sound different from the hens, making more growls and yelling. Hope this was helpful! Ps, yes chickens definetly have tounges

Abriana likes this.
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Give your birds plenty of space, good food & clean water. Keep them as safe from predators as possible. Quit reading this forum & you will be better off. The above is all your chickens really need & it ain't rocket science!

whychickens2 and snow5164 like this.
  5. MrsAuberry00

MrsAuberry00 Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My Coop
    @oldhenlikesdogs Both eggs had the bull's eye. In the thread I linked to, there is a black and white photo that shows the blastoderm better, but here's the photo.
    19275248_10156860643684572_3796036375790573747_n.jpg

As far as size when we purchased, it had a small comb. I can't give an educated guess as to age, but I do have a photo of them the first day we got them, (it is the one labeled as Daisy.) I don't know how helpful that is.
    17952638_10210336810154690_5262060218467145827_n.jpg

MamaChick73 likes this.
  6. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Rooster, for sure. Chickens do have tongues by the way. They are long and pointy to fit inside the beak. I'd say the little pecker is about the same age as some of my little peckers, sixteen to eighteen weeks. Not sure the age when a rooster can do his duty but if you don't want fertilized eggs, i suggest getting rid of him now. Roosters are great predator protection but they can be aggressive. Fertilized eggs aren't bad by the way, but some people don't like them. So sorry about all your flock issues. And i also envisoned a happy, healthy flock. When i heard about poultry illness i thought, "my flock won't get sick. Thats just for everyone else." Boy was i wrong. Having chickens isn't as easy as i thought it would be.

LittlePip21 likes this.
  7. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Oh yeah that is a boy! He isn't trying to drive you insane he's just a quiet romantic. I'm going to make it even worse on you though he might not crow for months or he might start tomorrow and never shut up.Roosters are weird this is just the tip of the iceberg!

MamaChick73 and Abriana like this.
  8. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Be happy he's a quiet romantic. I had a cockerel who would run over and jump on the hen's backs. Screaming, feathers...not a pleasant sight. I got rid of him.

MageofMist, snow5164 and Chickassan like this.
  9. raerae65

raerae65 Chirping

May 5, 2014
    Hello everyone, I am here to ask rooster questions.I am not familiar with Roo raising. We bought a batch of what we thought were all laying hens. Well there was 1 Rooster. I never wanted a rooster. And now I have one. So, we have 11 older ladies 3 years old. And 14 new girls plus the Rooster. 18 weeks old. Well , he has nothing better to do than chase tail. The girls all run away and the older ladies , well let's say they stand their ground with him. When I fist saw him attack" my hens (that's what I call it lol) Because it horrified me how he took her down by her comb and clamped his "Talons" to grip her while he did his business. I came unglued! I wanted to shoot him. Those are all my ladies!! I shooed him away and locked him in a coop because he does this all day long!! Well egg production has came to a stand still. Is it because he is stressing them out, because they are running from him all day long? I just fixed the protein problem now this. They are all in good health eating great, drinking great, still doing what chickens do. They all are co mingling well with each other, Other than the Rooster. I am trying to find him a nice home to go to but until then what can I do? Do I keep him locked in the coop by himself? The coop is split in half one half for raising chicks and the other half for the older ladies and they can all see it each other until I integrate them together. So he can see all the ladies and not be completely alone. Not that cruel! So, I guess you can say I am being a mother hen and protecting my babies. lol! Any advice would be great! Because I know nothing about Roosters. Thank you!

10. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    I don't know what you can do, other than get rid of him as fast as you can so that is doesn't have to sit alone in the coop all day. Maybe make separate pen for him. I don't know much about this issue, so i am hoping others will say something. My advice: get rid of him, quickly.

snow5164 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: