I'm Lost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bellschicks, Dec 1, 2013.

1. bellschicks

bellschicks New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    What I've got going on is my hens just stopped laying eggs. I have ten beautiful healthy ladies, and over the last 21/2 months my egg production has gone from 6-8 per day to 1 a day. They eat twice a day 16%crumbles in the morning and scratch in the early afternoon plus what they eat while ranging on our 21/2 acres. I have a variety of breeds and a great rooster to protect them and keep them in line. They live in a barn, dirt floor, cleaned regularly, always have plenty of water. I'm totally lost, and any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    It's winter silly, not enough light in the day, it will get better, after the 21 st of this month we start gaining daylight again

3. bellschicks

bellschicks New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    That's what my wife keeps saying, hope ya'll are right

4. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Didn't you know women are always right [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How old are your hens? and what breeds are we talking?

I'm guessing it's just time to take a break. Most hens, especially non-production breeds or hens after their first winter, take the winter off. I have about 2 dozen freeloaders, I mean hens, and am thrilled if I get 4 eggs a day. Patiently waiting for longer days!

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with the rest about the declining daylight being your issue.

I do want to make sure of one thing--you know that scratch isn't chicken feed, right? It's only meant to be fed as a treat and does not have the nutritional value of your crumbles. Basically, it's chicken candy. Also, all the research I've read says to give layer hens free-choice access to layer feed instead of feeding a set amount each day, as cycling a chicken's feed can throw off her egglaying and all those different breeds of chickens you have will require differing amounts of feed daily.

7. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    WalkingOnSunshine has got it spot on - if your girls are free-ranging then you can happily give them free-choice access to layer feed all day long. They will come and eat it when they need to, and complement it with what they get free-ranging, but they are very unlikely to overeat crumbles with 2 1/2 acres to wander around in. It is only in an enclosed coop with not much else to do that they need to have their feed quantities controlled - I would imagine that they are much the same as us - cooped up and bored they will tend to eat for want of something to do!

I would also agree with everyone else that the short winter days are causing your lack of eggs. By pure chance I got a black star (black sex-link if you prefer) as one of my 3 girls, and she is the only one who has still been consistently laying in the last 2 months. Without her I would be faced with the prospect of having to succumb to pale, horrible supermarket eggs [​IMG]

8. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

9. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    My name is bellschicks and I did not put that post on there. Im from west virginia.

10. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Anyway...does anyone elses chickens stand right out in the rain? Some of mine just keep peckin like nothings wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by