I'm Mittens4chickns

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mittens4chickns, Jan 6, 2017.

1. mittens4chickns

mittens4chickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Fenton, New York
    Hi BYC! I have been lurking for a long time now, and recently decided to make a profile. This site is UNBELIEVABLY helpful, and I am very grateful.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    My first job out of high school was at a mom and pop grocery store/chicken farm (egg factory). The poor chickies in the small cages looked so sad and uncomfortable. On my breaks I would go hang out with them so they had something other than cold steel bars to look at, and each other's clucking to listen to. Then, one of my regular customers got bantams, and gave me one. I was in love instantly, but not in a position to have a chicken, and had to give it up. Then I moved to a great place with plenty of space for chickens, and immediately started doing all the research I could. I decided to wait, and begin other homesteading/farming tasks first. Now, I am ready for birds! Still doing research though, the learning never ends!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    None yet, but I'll be getting some chicks this spring. Maybe 12-14?

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Looking at Ameraucanas, Marans, Orpingtons, Welsummers, and Wyandottes. In a couple years they will be all sorts of mixed, and I'm looking forward to it!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Google! [​IMG]

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I knit, crochet, sew, make jewelry, and bake and decorate cookies (and sometimes cakes and cupcakes).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share
    My family consists of my boyfriend, my father, and his girlfriend, and my 2 indoor cats. We live in a big farmhouse on a nice chunk of land that we are slowly turning into a small farm/homestead. I have a lot to learn, and I'd rather not force a failure by getting in over my head too quickly. We are also getting bees this spring, I'm very excited about that as well! Eventually I'd like to have turkeys and ducks - a pond has been in the plans for years anyway, but that's still a year or three in the future. We grow tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, potatoes, wheat, lettuce, sweet and field corn, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, carrots, peas, beans, cucumbers, yellow summer squash, and sweet and carving pumpkins. This growing season, we are going to be adding acorn squash, giant corn, sunflowers, blueberries, and another variety of pumpkin. During the winter we make maple syrup.

Thanks again for being so helpful, and sharing your knowledge so I might take on the mighty task of sharing my home and heart with such wonderful birds!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, Mittens4chickns - it is so nice to have you joining us. What a wonderful introduction - look forward to getting to know more about you and to hearing all about your adventures in chickens when the time comes!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mittens, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Loved your introduction. Sounds like you are really enjoying the farm life! A lot of folks have the identical feeling of you of factory raised chickens and the conditions in which they exist. My hat is off to you for giving your birds a better life! Best of luck to you and your farmstead and all the cool stuff you have going on in your life!! [​IMG]

4. mittens4chickns

mittens4chickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Fenton, New York
    Thank you! I'm glad to be here!

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Nice intro, thanks for sharing with us.

Since you like baking, you might enjoy joining a bunch on this thread: post #1

Thanks for joining us and good luck with all your plans!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mittens4chickns [​IMG] Welcome!

Love your username and avatar!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Best wishes on your homesteading venture.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] love your avatar Mittens. When you do get chickens they are going to love you. They love gardens, so you will probably have to fence them out. They are good before you plant though, to help break up the soil, and after harvest, will clean up the residue for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by