Im needing info from experienced hen owners. Please.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by struttachic, May 25, 2016.

1. struttachic

struttachic New Egg

May 24, 2016
    Newnan Georgia
    Greetings. This is my first attempt raising chickens. Thus far the only Birds we have are parakeets and Amazons. Which are way different from these cute little chickadees. So my first question is we are building the coop and run this weekend. Our funds are (very) limited so keeping cost down Is a must.;-) Is there particular types of wood that should be used to withstand the elements? How wide should perches be? Are any building materials toxic to chickens? What type of metal protectant screening should we use? OK let's say we have the finished coop and run; What's next? Are we supposed to spread anything on coop floor? What about the nesting box, do we put hay (like they show in the cartoons lol:-D)? Also, our chicks are 4 weeks, our 7year old son talked us in to getting a couple of silkies that we pick up tomorrow. Im sure they're hatchlings. Are we supposed to keep them separated? Will the older ones attack/kill the newbies?Or how does that work?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. struttachic

struttachic New Egg

May 24, 2016
    Newnan Georgia
    Hey thank you.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you check out the Learning Center, you will find answers for most of your questions. Re: the silkies, yes the older chicks will bully and peck them. Silkies for the most part, are very docile and tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order. Their crests and beards obscure their vision, and their type of feathers do not lend themselves to flying. They can jump pretty high when inspired to do so. Other breeds tend to harass them because they do not look like regular chickens.

You may want to check out the "Silkie thread," to learn more about them. Silkies are very popular especially with kids AND are generally very good broody mamas. That means when they are feeling "broody" they want to sit on eggs and hatch them out. Chicken folks often have a silkie or two just for that reason. Some call them "silkie-bators- they are so much better than using a mechanical incubator.

I'm sure you and your son will enjoy them very much. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS I should mention that silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, and sometimes not till they lay or crow. Buying young chicks - NO one can guarantee their sex - if they do, I would find another seller.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Drumstick Diva gave you good advice. The Learning Center is the place to do you research.

Good luck!

7. struttachic

struttachic New Egg

May 24, 2016
    Newnan Georgia
    Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by