Im new and I dont know this term....can you help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MeghanChickLady, Aug 7, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Hi, Im new to this and I was wondering... what does it mean when an egg goes into "lock down"? Im incubating a dozen eggs within the next week or so, and Im hoping to get around half or more to hatch. This is my first time trying this, so Im learning all that I can. Can anybody help? Im completely open to suggestions and stuff! Thanks [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    "Lock down" refers to preparing the incubator/eggs for hatching, generally at the 18th day when incubating chicken eggs. During "lock down", you raise the humidity in the incubator (up to 60-70%, if possible), and stop the egg turner. This all helps prepare for the hatching process. Generally, after "lock down", you don't open the incubator again until atleast a couple chicks have hatched, so as to not disrupt the humidity and temperature.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Ok, thank you. Its good you told me, because Im the kind to peek every two seconds! haha, just kidding. Thank you very much for telling me, I didn't know you had to raise the humidity either. You probably just saved half a dozen chicks! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by