I'm new and I found a chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bobchicken, Feb 6, 2016.

1. bobchicken

bobchicken New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum. A couple days ago, I found a chicken in my neighborhood in a bush. It's name is Bob, but it's a girl. I've been feeding it, and so has another person. We have been wanting to catch it and make a coop for it, but I'm not sure how to go about it. It's pretty friendly, but it doesn't like being pet. I've only touched it once.

I've dealt with chickens before, I was in 4-H and raised a couple chickens last year. I also worked with bantam chickens, but they were all used to being handled. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

If you can find where it is sleeping that is the best time to grab it. They are almost catatonic when sleeping so wont be likely to see you coming.

I would sneak up while it is asleep and have a carrier ready for when it does start to flap. Grab and stick in the carrier to avoid a wing to the eye.

It may take some time to figure out the sleeping spot it has chosen.

I wish you luck in the capture of the hen.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I agree that the best time would be night to catch this girl up. Have you checked out the learning centre? Lots of great articles there that would help you look after this girl. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with her in the future. If you do catch and keep her I'm sure she would really benefit from a friend. They are social creatures and like company of their own kind.
    Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could also throw a net or sheet over the sleeping bird, so you can safely move her to some restricted place. Then you can make attempts to win her over and tame her without her escaping. Are you sure she is a hen?

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I wish you the best of luck with the chicken - you have some good advice already.

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. bobchicken

bobchicken New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Yes, I'm sure she's a hen. Like I said, I raised a few chickens before, and I had to sort males from females. She sleeps on top of a wall about 7 or so feet high, so I can't reach her. Even if I climbed on top, someones backyard is on the other side of the wall, so I don't think climbing up there at night is the best idea.

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    She wont like it but if you can get a fishing net with you can net her. It wont hurt her as long as you grab her once she is netted. I would keep her in the net until I had her inside a structure. She will flap and scream like something bad is happening of course. She does not know you are trying to help her.

I have some flighty birds that if I have to get ahold of them during the day I have to net them. It is effective.

If you do not have a fishing net perhaps you can borrow one or attach a long pillow case to a hoop (hula or one made from PVC) should work.
    I do not think at 7 foot up that you would even need a handle on it.
    Do it like in the animal shows and give it a twist once she is in there so she cannot simply fly out of it.

Best wishes
    Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by