Im new and my silkie is not making me happy lol

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zarm, Aug 13, 2013.

1. zarm

zarm Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    I have 2 silkies and i got 4 chicks and the one silkie keeps chasing them and pecking them. I dont like it[​IMG] I do have another coop coming are the silkies better to be left alone.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Your one silkie is just making sure the chicks understand the pecking order. She's in charge and doesn't want them to forget it. I've never raised silkies before, so I can't tell you if it's better to keep them separate from the others.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkies have a pecking order just like any other chicken, and yours do too. If your new chicks are standard, your Silkies asserting themselves and being at the top of the pecking order may not be such a bad thing. As long as the pecking isn't aggressive, that is. Good luck :)

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old are the chicks and how old are the silkies?

5. zarm

zarm Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    The silkies i believe are about a year i resuced them and the babies about 3-4 weeks and the babies are about the size of the babies. Should i move them and let them get to know eachother through a fence for a while. I wanted some big chickens to free range and help the silkies through the winter..[​IMG]I love my chickens just want the best for them all.. And they all snuggle up at night i went out and checked on them at night and each silkie had 2 of the new ones by them...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I thought your Silkies were chicks too. How aggressive is the pecking? Is it a "get away from me" sort of peck or are they chasing them down and terrorizing them? If its mild, I would leave them to work it out. If its bad, I'd separate the babies until they're about the same size as the Silkies so they have a chance to defend themselves :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2

8. zarm

zarm Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Yeah she does kinda chase after them to peck them. So im going to move them and just have a fence between them. About how long before i can put them back together. And also is it ok to free range silkies iv heard yes and no becasue they will fly...[​IMG]

9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yea, if she's actively seeking them out I'd separate for now. Keep them separate until they're about the same size.
    How big are your Silkies crests? I don't free range mine because their crest are large. I can walk right up to them and pick them up bc they can't see well at all. I'd imagine a predator could probably do the same. If yours are more pet quality, they'll probably be ok.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  10. zarm

zarm Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Thank you all for your help. And my silkies see very well some times i think they see me before i see them..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by