I'm New and Need Advice RE: Preventing Parasites

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
Hi Everyone! I am brand new to this forum. My first post!
big_smile.png
Our family just got 12 silkie chicks that are about 2-3 weeks old! They are adorable. We are currently building a coop for them and I have a question (the first of many I am sure!)...Is there a product/products that I should apply/give to the silkies once they are moved to their coop to prevent parasites (i.e., mites, lice, worms)??

I appreciate any advice you have! Thanks!

Pam

Hello! I don't apply anything unless I see a problem. I have had to use Seven Dust only once, on some new birds that I had just purchased from a poultry show, and they did have mites.

Seven Dust can be found in the gardening supplies--it's used on vegetables, and it works great for chickens. That's what I would recommend if you ever have a problem.

I just every now and then, look them over real good--separating those feathers to look at the bare skin.....just to make sure everything's ok and no buggies.

Enjoy your chickens!

Some will tell you to sprinkle diatomatous earth all over everything. Others swear by a bi-annual worming regimen.

Wanna know what I do?
Nothing!

I have had chickens for more than a couple years and have had no problems with mites, lice, worms, etc. My chickens have a large run & ample opportunity to dustbathe. Since they are pets, they are handled frequently. I would not hesitate to treat the entire flock if I saw one bug on one chicken. However, since I haven't, I haven't. I do not believe in introducing anything unnecessary into their systems. Just my opinion...

Thank you for the responses! I think I will follow your advice and not do anything unless I need to. I just would hate to see any of them sick if I can prevent it. They are definitely intended to be our pets and are/will be treated that way! Thanks again!!!

Oh, I'm with Chickenmaven too.....I'm going on my second year, and I've never wormed. They all seem fine. Mine do free range alot though, so they're not standing around in their own droppings.....

I also use diatomatous earth and sprinkle and mix it in their bedding. Non toxic (ground sea fossils) and keeps it dry too. Mine are 4 months, so far so good! You can buy it in garden supllies places and health food stores. DON'T use the kind for pools!

We are planning on a large run around the coop for the chickens during the day that will be raked out once a week when the coop is cleaned out. I'd love to let them have the whole yard but it isn't fenced in. I'm afraid that a dog will get them or something. I think I'm too nervous....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom