I'm new! Have some questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m496, Aug 20, 2011.

1. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Hi all,

I have never kept ducks before but I have recently became addicted with having some, especially call ducks! During the past couple of days, I feel like I have read and read and read about ducks, particularly calls, but I need my actual questions answered!

Anyways, here are some of the things I have set up in my mind LOL:

I'd like to have a pair of calls or possibly one male and two females. I found a lady locally that has a pair of gray calls and a couple of female white calls. I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of breeding a gray male and white female call together:p so I am not sure as to what I want to do.
    -If I have one pair of call ducks, will the male really beat on the female during spring? Or, since there won't be any other male ducks nearby, will he be "nice"?

For setup, I have a dog igloo that looks about like this: http://www.bradleycaldwell.com/images/products/large/598187.jpg. I think that will be large enough for just straw/shavings for a 2-4 ducks. I plan to have them on grass 24/7 so I will put their food and water outside of the igoo.
    -Does this house I have planned work?

For outside setup, I kind of want to build something like this(its the outside wire pen I want to make, not the house): http://www.omlet.us/products_services/products_services.php?view=Eglu Go . Will this be large enough for the number of ducks I want? I want the setup to be portable so that I can move them to new grass whenever needed. (I will be putting the whole pen setup out in my small grassy field so there is plenty of grass)

For water, I plan on using a plastic storage bin, about 16" long, 13" wide, and 6" deep. I will also setup a smaller water source by their food to help them eat, etc etc.
    -How does this sound?

Finally, feed. This has been the hardest thing for me to decide on. I have chickens and I feed them Layena pellets sunfresh recipe, you can look at it here: http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/Layena/default.aspx .
    Can I feed this to the ducks? It sais it works on ducks, geese, and of course chickens. Also, I will feed them grit all year round. Should I allow access to it 24/7? During spring I will also include egg shells. Thats about it. They will have access to layena pellets, grit, spring time egg shells, and grass. I don't have a lot of money so this is about all I can afford, so I hope that it is acceptible!

Thank you so much for reading all of this!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't have calls so I'm not sure about some of your questions but good for you to be doing research. It is the best way to learn. You will get lots of opinions so you will need to decide what is best.
    I think the dog house would be fine. Not sure about the tractor.
    Good luck on your ducky adventure!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  3. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks!

Anyone else?
    P.s. I'm actually getting mini silver appleyards instead of calls. Will this setup still work? Thanks!

4. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    That tractor looks super small. Your going to have mud, and fast! I was always told 3sq feet per duck. Same with chickens. So maybe that will help.

5. DuckiesPLZ

DuckiesPLZ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    I'm currently trying to get pet ducks, but to answer the food question, I've read all over the place, and once things they stress is not to feed ducks chicken feed... If it says its ok for ducks on the package, then maybe its okay, but all the websites i've been on freak out about giving a duck chicken feed, since they need more protein (i think)

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:most of the hubbub is about feeding medicated chick started. Layena would be ok for the hens but layer feed isnt very good for drakes. I feed my flock Purina Flock Raiser and they have 24/7 access to grit and oyster shells. As far as the dogloo and run goes I think the dogloo would be fine for a pair or trio but you want to make sure they have AT LEAST 10qft per bird if they are being contained 24/7. My flock has 3sqft per bird in their night time pen and free range during the day. I do not have experience with calls so I dont know if they can be free ranged or not.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    The feed doesn't say it's it's for laying. It just sais layena pellets sunfrrsh recipe and that you can use it with poultry. Maybe I'll think about the purina you mentioned. The outdoor run I'll make 3 sq feet per bird but the shelter I think will house maybe up to 4 but definitely 3. I'm actually getting mini silver appleyards

8. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I think you will need something secure and safe for them to be in at night. What you have pictured is an open invitation to predators to come and get your duckies. And, I think you will find it isn't big enough to keep clean, even if you move it around.
    This section has some incredible duck house/run set ups. The latest one that comes to mind is lovesgliders new pen. Check around for her post with the photos. I use dog kennel panels for the pen and lock mine in a shed at night.
    Good luck to you and be sure to post pics when you get your ducks.[​IMG]

9. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    If Im correct, you find square feet by length x width, right?

If I build a 4 foot wide and 5 1/2 foot lenth run that would be 22 square feet right? That sounds kind of wrong. Idk!

10. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:That's right [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by