I'm new here and I am a new chicken mom

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Alecia, May 25, 2007.

1. Alecia

Alecia Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2007
    Fallentimber, PA
    Hello everyone. Four days ago I could not resist starting my backyard flock. Of course, they are in my living room right now as they were a week old when I got them. They are six beautiful Rhode Island Red pullets. I already love them beyond words. I am a subscriber to "Backyard Poultry" magazine ( it was a gift subscription from my uncle) so I read the magazine all winter and longed for my own flock. Well now they are here and I want to do right by them. I am so glad I found this website. I have so many questions. I am finding out that reading about raising chicks and actually raising them are two different things!! I do know that I want them to be healthy and happy. I will be constructing their coop as they grow over the next few weeks. I just want to make sure that I give them everything that they need. I have specific questions, but for now I just wanted to introduce myself and to let you know how glad and relieved I am that you are here. I look forward to talking to you and learning from you and sharing the great joy I feel just being around these wonderful creatures.

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Welcome! I'm new here too and its awesome! It's fun and I've learned ALOT in just two days. Hope you have fun too and good luck with the chickens![​IMG]

3. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    welcome aboard alecia.[​IMG]

4. Alecia

May 25, 2007
    Fallentimber, PA
    Thanks for the welcome. It seems like a really cool site. I really need to get in touch with other chicken lovers. I never realized how great it would be to actually start raising chicks. They are delightful. Anyway, thanks again for saying "hi."

5. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Hi Alecia,

Welcome to BYC. I'm a new mom to five new chicks. They are five days old. 2 buff orps and 3 Australorps. They are so funny to watch. I've never raised chicks so this is new to me!!! this is a great way to learn...

6. Alecia

May 25, 2007
    Fallentimber, PA
    Hi Joanm. I really hope to learn alot here. My six girls are so funny and sweet. An unfortunate moth made its way into their pen and the lucky girl who caught the intruder was chased around like she was holding on to gold. All that was left was a shredded wing when all was said and done. She held onto that shred of a wing until the very end. She was so proud of herself. They are really amazing. I want them to stay happy and healthy. I wonder if they are too young to get treats yet. They love their food, a medicated starter crumble, but I want them to have more variety. Are they too young for treats at two weeks old? Do you give your chicks treats yet?

7. jeremy frenz

jeremy frenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    First off welcome to BYC the people here are very nice and helpful. i just got my chicks and they are about 10 days old and i give them worms, bugs, hard boiled egg yolk,ect, it is not to early to give them treats because i just figure if they were raised buy there mom outside they would have had bugs and stuff from day one

8. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    They love hard boiled egg yolk, mashed up small.

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Alecia!

I'm a new chick mom also! I had a standard flock years ago so I opted for a mixed Banty flock this time. [​IMG] My "kids" are going on 2 weeks old and I've had a blast watching them chase after and catch the occassional stray ants that end up in their brooder cage...it's like a 3 ring circus! [​IMG] I give them mashed up egg yolk once a week and then a few days later will cut up some grass real small for them, they love both!

10. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Welcome to BYC Alecia! We are happy to have you here. Treats are great in moderation. Just remember to have grit or sand available for them since they will need it to help digest their food. We all started in the same place and have grown in knowledge and in friendship. This website and forum is a big family. Once you really start reading (even past threads), you will learn so much about each and every person behind these keyboards.

We hope you find all that you are looking for as well as much, much more. There is more packed into this forum than most books you will EVER read. Best of luck to you and make sure you take lots and lots of pics. These babies of ours don't stay little for long and you will quickly forget just how small they started out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by