I'm new here and need some advice!!!

naomiemond

Hatching
Jan 6, 2016
New Mexico
Hey guys, I am new to raising chickens. This is my first flock. I have 5 white leghorn, 3 mixed breeds and 4 ducks.
This morning while going out to feed and collect eggs, I noticed one of my leghorn hens huddled outside the pen and very lethargic. My leghorn constantly fly out and roost on the rails outside of the coop (in the process of fixing it) and typically are very athletic and hard to catch. She let me walk right up to her and pick her up. It's been really wet and cold the past 2 weeks but the girl's have held up nicely thus far. I brought her inside next to the fire and noticed her comb is blueish on the tips.
Any insights and tips would be very appreciated.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I've just read on your other thread that you have lost your hen, I'm so sorry to hear that :hugs It does sound like she was cold and wet, the bluish tips on her comb would suggest frostbite. On a night you may need to check they are in the coop and lock them in there. They can take their time getting used to going into the coop and staying in there. If mine were given the opportunity of escaping their run they would more than likely not go in the coops on an evening.

Hope you can keep your others in and enjoy BYC :frow

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom