I'm new here! I have some questions.

Okay thank you! That was very helpful. Where could I buy their food? And also what is save-a-chick and where can I buy that?
If you have a TSC (Tractor Supply) you can get just about everything you need in a variety there. The sav a chick is an electrolyte/vitamin supplement for their water and can also be found at TSC. Sav a chick also has a digestive aid as well. If you don't have a TSC, then check out any feed store that may be in your area.

Hello,

My family and I have been thinking about getting chickens for the past few years now and we are excited to say that we just placed our first order!
celebrate.gif

We are getting 12 unsexed chicks so probably half of them will be roosters. We learned that most people recommend not getting roosters but the person that we are buying from is glad to take them back if we decide to not keep them. The breeds are Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers. They will be arriving around March 14th and will be a day or 2 old. We live right on the river so we have lots of wildlife around.
We have done lots of research on how to take care of them but here are some questions that we have specific to our situation:
1) Will an old large dog crate work as a brooder?
Yes ensure that it is large enough to place a brooder light in with enough space for the chicks to be able to get out from under it to cool off if needed.
2) What should we feed them(we are an all organic family)? Most feed stores either carry or can order organic feed.
3) Are those breeds friendly? How many eggs do they lay per day? The hens normally start laying at about 20 weeks and lay on average 4 eggs a week per hen. I have those breeds and they are very social. The key is interaction with you at a young age.
4) Should we keep a rooster(we are planning to get more chicks in the future)? I am a little bias on this but I would keep one rooster. The ratio for that breed is one rooster for every 10 to 12 hens.
5) How big should our coop be? 2 to 4 square feet of floor space per bird is recommended. I would add some roosting space and a 4 to 6 nest, nesting box.
6) Do you recommend a mobile coop?
This totally depends on you and the predator population in your area I personally prefer to just let them free range and lock them up at night.
7) Should we make our coop? If not, which are the best companies to buy from(we are from New Hampshire)? I would personally make your own if you feel that you guys can handle the construction. that way you can personalize it the way you like.
8) What do you recommend for us to do in the winter with the cold? I would recommend useing a couple heat reflector lights to take the chill off of them. also and most importantly ensure the the coop is sufficiently ventillated and the moisture from their feces as well as from their breath will settle on wattles and combs and and could lead to frost bite on exceptionally cold days.
9) Where is the best place to put the brooder? In a draft area free from drafts can be a garage or shed that has power as long as there is plenty of heat for them.
10) What wattage and temperature do you recommend for the light on the brooder? I would recommend a heat lamp bulb placed in the brooder in a corner or to one end to allow the chicks to walk out from under it. I would place it at least a foot above the floor of the brooder.

Sorry i know this is a lot
hide.gif
we just want to provide the best care for our baby chicks!
I know this is allot of info but hope it helps.

They are awesome,,I am not a builder this building one is a challenge but the pallets made it so easy, i managed to get the floor down secure and build a frame with subfloor for the pallets to go on and the plywood down over them..I also got one side wall built. Its exciting and I havent hammered my finger once yet LOL I bolted those pallets together LOL only thing i hammered was the subframe and the plywood LOL my fingers are happy hehehe...

They are awesome,,I am not a builder this building one is a challenge but the pallets made it so easy, i managed to get the floor down secure and build a frame with subfloor for the pallets to go on and the plywood down over them..I also got one side wall built. Its exciting and I havent hammered my finger once yet LOL I bolted those pallets together LOL only thing i hammered was the subframe and the plywood LOL my fingers are happy hehehe...
lol. I only have to do the floor and front and back walls to take the original shed that is being transformed all the way over to the other shed. It'll give me a coop of 11 1/2 feet by just over 9 feet. I've looked at a lot of pallet coop/sheds on pintrest, so I am hoping I don't have too much trouble...lol

Back
Top Bottom